2022 Safari Audio

Jan 02, 2022

Safari will just NOT play storyline audio in Safari (Mac).   I have made all updates & settings I could find.  Now what?

34 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Joel.

Thank you for clarifying! You are correct, Catalina is 10.15, and we'll make sure our report reflects that. 

Tim,

While we work on a bug fix, I just want to point out that Catalina is the older version. BigSur (MacOS 11) and Monterey (MacOS 12) came after, and from our tests, the audio seems to be working fine in Safari in the newer versions of the OS.

We'll keep everyone updated as we gain more information. 

Joel Glastetter

Indeed Tim. I hope they find a fix as well.

To your point about it needing to work with the current OS and Safari though, it IS working with the MOST current version of Mac OS (12.1 Montery) and Safari 15.2, though Monterey 12.1 just came out on Dec. 13th so most people probably aren't that updated..., it's just not working somewhere in between Mac OS 10.13.6 and Safari 11.1.2 which is definitely working for me and Mac OS 12.0.1 Monterey which was not working for my colleague and of course we know 10.15.7 Catalina is also not working for you and for me but there could be others too....

Definitely you can't tell users that they can't use what they want though. Especially if you have competition using Captivate and it works. That stinks... My organization has no competitors so we can tell users to try another browser without too much fuss or worry...

It's funny though. I tried Captivate a couple of times because I'm a Mac guy and I wanted to like it, but... I just can't use it. I do not like it at all. And for the most part, Storyline works great (this is one of only a couple of times where I like a Windows software better than a Mac software - or rather I can't find a better Mac software - another example being the excellent Mp3tag software by Florian Heidenreich).

Truthfully, I wish Adobe would make Captivate from scratch and make it work like their other products that I love. It feels like they just bought it years ago from Macromedia and just kept slapping band aids on it. But, I digress...

OR..... maybe Articulate will someday come out with a MAC version of their products?!?!?!?!?!?
What do you say e-Heroes? Any interest in that? Man would that be great..... I could finally toss the extra computer from my desk that I literally only use for your product..... sorry. I digress again. 

I definitely think the e-Heroes can fix this. Hopefully knowing which versions are working and not working will help them figure it out... 

If there's anything I can test or help out with going forward, please let me know. I'm happy to help. Have a great day everyone!

Joel Glastetter

Hi Maria, Please note in your reports that my colleague definitely experienced this issue with Mac OS 12.0.1 Monterey with Safari 15.1. I only mention this again because you stated that it seems to be working fine in the newer versions of the OS....
Again, I'm happy to help test anything if you guys need someone to test in the real world with Mac OS 10.15. Have a great day!

Tim Hickman

Well said Joel.  I actually did not know that an OS update was available for Mac.  When I looked in the "Software Updates" in "System Preferences" it still tells me "Your Mac is up to date - Catalina 10.15.7".  I guess Apple has issues too :-)    I think we now are able to know what is going on. 

I'm with you on a Mac version of Storyline, as well as not being a Captivate fan.

Joel Glastetter

That is weird Tim. My Mac running 10.15.7 shows the Monterey Upgrade in System Prefs/Software Update. I wonder if you need to go under the "Advanced" button in the Software Update tab and check the box for "Check for Updates"? If that IS checked, then yeah, something really weird is going on with your Mac...

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, everyone!

I wanted to share an update on this discussion. 

During our investigation of this issue with audio not playing on Catalina and Safari 15, we've found that the issue is not only affecting Storyline's published output but also other web applications like Google Translate when viewed using this environment. From here, we're waiting for the solution from Apple to come in the form of a patch. 

If upgrading Catalina to Big Sur or Monterey is not possible, we've identified another option where you can turn off an experimental feature in Safari 15. Here are the steps:

1. In Safari, click on Develop.
2. Go into Experimental Features.
3. Uncheck the option for GPU Process Media.
4. Restart Safari.

For additional information on experimental features in Safari, we recommend going to https://support.apple.com/

Let us know if this works, and please reach out through a support case if you have additional questions!