360/HTML5 Player - Content Not Loading

Aug 22, 2018

Our team has been upgrading our old SL courses to SL360 with the new HTML5 only modern player to avoid Flash problems our customers experience. These courses work for me, both on my computer, on each browser, and also launched from our LMS. I haven't seen any issues so far, for me. 

Today I received an email from a customer who was able to launch a course, but nothing loaded. I can't figure out the issue since his company laptop is closely guarded by IS settings, so he can only use Internet Explorer 11 (same version I'm on: 11.0.9600.19080). He's launching from IE11 through our LMS, same as me, but it won't load the content. It loads the modern player, but no content, and he can't move forward at all. It's just blank. I attached a picture for visual.

Has anyone encountered this before? And is there a specific reason why? Is it a browser thing? A computer setting? An internet connection? What could cause this?

Thanks,

Janine

5 Replies
Tom Jerry

Hi Janine, 

While we cannot build exactly what triggered the inability of the customer to view the course content successfully, I do have some suggestions that might help us identify the cause and remedy for this concern. 

• Try launching the course using Internet Explorer's 'In-private Browsing'

• Make sure to allow the pop up windows when prompted
  • Turn off the option to view all intranet sites in compatibility mode

Compatibility

Janine Carbone

Thanks, I had tested using all my browser settings such as those and couldn't seem to replicate his issue. He was able to launch the course successfully on his private phone and tablet, but still not on his work laptop. 

Is it possible for a company to block certain HTML5 content? Even with the compatibility mode on for me, it doesn't load anything, including the player. It's strange the wrapper was loaded for him but not the course. I'm wondering if their IS did some security setting that could block HTML5 audio/videos? 

Tom Jerry

Hi Janine,

Thanks for the feedback!

I realize that they must have a domain policy enforced to show intranet sites in compatibility mode on Internet Explorer. A good substitute for testing is to launch the course using a different browser on the affected system if the policy cannot be disabled.

If there's anything else, please hit reply and we can get right back to you.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Janine,

It does sound like the individual's browser settings, or company security settings are blocking access to the course.

IE11 should work for HTML5 only content, but as Ron mentioned, we've heard from a handful of folks that some Company restrictions or LMSs are launching IE11 in compatibility mode therefore not showing the full course content. It sounds like you've already had that confirmed with your user who had trouble? 

Does the course start with a video or other media that the company security rules could be blocking? Also, are you able to connect with the Security team to confirm if they're blocking anything? 

Janine Carbone

Unfortunately, this company forces only IE11 and no other browsers, but I am forwarding all this information over to their team hoping that they might take it the IT group. I'm guessing it's either a compatibility mode or some sort of HTML5 media blocker due to video ads. Thanks for your help, everyone! It's good to know it definitely wasn't my course that was the issue. :) 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.