508 compliance issues

Feb 09, 2017

Hi all,

I have to complete a module that is 508 compliant (which hits every old and new regulation).  My issues I cannot figure out are:

1. When I publish with HTML and HTML5, the language is set in the HTML file with english but not in the HTML5 file.  I tried to add it to the code and then zip the file and upload it but that didn't work.  Is there some other way for me to add the set language to that file?

2. I need to be able to tab from the URL at the top of a webpage into the module.  When I click into the module page, I am able to tab around so that's good.  I set the tabs in order but I can't start tabbing around unless I click into the window... which is apparently not 508 compliant.

Thanks so much in advance!  Really been struggling to hit these regulations!

Kindly,

Meghan

2 Replies
Julie Stelter

Hi Meghan,

My understanding is that in order for a screen reader to be able to read Storyline is you can't publish to html or html5. It has to be flash-based. And storyline suports JAWS only which is best viewed in IE.  

1. I'm not familiar with this issue so I can't help you here.

2. In your second issue, I think what you want is that the initial focus is on the course rather than the web page hosting it. Some thoughts here are that you would need to code this into your course to make this happen. My second thought, and don't take this as legal advice, the standard applies more to web pages than online courses. The two really are not equivalent but use the same standards

Again, not legal advice :), but making a good faith effort to be compliant and then responding immediately to individual accessibility requests goes a long way in an individual not filing a complaint with the the DOJ. Be sure to put contact info before the user launches the course. And be sure it points to someone who has the authority and capability of granting the request or working out a solution.  

Keep up the good work!

Julie

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.