Accessibility in SL360 - Audio, Page numbering and Player colours

Oct 05, 2020

Hi,

I'm building a WCAG AA accessible course in SL360 and have these questions. Can someone please help?

1. Is explicit page numbering on slides a must for accessibility to indicate where the learner is in the course? Or would this be taken care of by the built-in course menu - as in - would the screen reader read out something like "Page 1 of 10" from the course menu? If the course menu would not offer that page numbering voice reading, I will include it manually on each slide (working with limited real-estate on the slides, so trying to cut down anything that may not be essential). 

2. Can I change the Next and Prev button shape and size on the Classic built-in player? Or can this be achieved only via custom navigation controls?

3. The course doesn't include audio narration. Is audio version of text-based slides essential to meet accessibility?

4. Is built-in player better in some ways for accessibility than a custom player? 

4 Replies
Sam Hill

1. Not necessarily. As long as you give an indication as to the progress through a module or topic. This could be a percent based progress. I'm not sure if the player does include the progress, but a technique you can use is to have it off screen if you only have to make it available for screen readers (e.g. JAWS and NVDA).

2. I think you are very limited. You want to ensure you stick with text based buttons so the functionality of the buttons is clear to the user. You also need to ensure the colour that you choose contrast well (foreground and background). Use a colour contrast testing tool to determine that. The same goes for any other elements on screen.

3. No, you do not need an audio version of text based slides for WCAG 2.1 AA. Screen readers can access text based content. Be sure to include text based version of any media that provides information that is not otherwise available in text based format in module.

4. I think the built in player will be better for people less experienced with accessibility as it will do some of the lifting for you and provide functionality you may not otherwise be aware off.

Sam Hill

Hi Ram,

Just using icons as navigation can be a bit ambiguous and it can even depend on the accessibility tester as to whether they will pass accessibility testing. For example, if you have an instruction to use the < and > in the bottom right corner of the slide for navigation.

Using text labels on the button removes the ambiguity and is more on the side of being more usable and accessible.

Thanks, Sam

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.