Accessibility navigation Storyline 360

Dec 13, 2017

Hello, I have been working on making a course in Storyline 360 accessible. When I tab through, I can use the standard player buttons no problem. However, I have two custom buttons that display different lightbox slides, and once I select those and tab through to close the lightbox, I can no longer tab anywhere outside of the body of the course. I can no longer access any of the player buttons. Has anyone else encountered this or know of a solution?

Thank you!!

13 Replies
Jennifer Shelden

Thanks Bob! I tested in scorm cloud and Review and the tabbing is better, but what is strange is that the only way to get back to the player buttons is to select the main course area through the tabbing. (For example, tab to player link, lightbox opens, tab to lightbox close x, then cannot tab to outside buttons UNLESS I tab to select the whole course area rectangle, then can tab outside of the page again.) Do you (or anyone else out there) happen to know if that is normal functionality? 

Bob O'Donnell

My tabbing seemed to work and went back through the navigation buttons. I know there are several instances where Storyline seems to tab to something like a "skip nav" link. We recorded that in a course that just went through our trusted tester program. I would wager a guess that could be what is happening.

As for normal functionality, I'll leave that to the Articulate staff to answer. I will test it again just our designers decide to use a lightbox slide. Hopefully someone on the staff will give this a quick look.

Good luck with your course. Making everything compliant is fun. ; )

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Jennifer. I did get "stuck" tabbing on the slide stage after closing the lightbox slide. After I tested this in a new file, I found that this is a bug in the Storyline 360 HTML5 output. The Flash output appears to work correctly. 

I'll share this with my team so we can move forward with finding a solution. Thanks again for bringing this up, and I'm sorry if it's causing headaches!

Alyssa Gomez

Good news, Jennifer! We recently released another update for Storyline 360, and we included a fix for the issue where closing a lightbox slide using the Tab key prevented you from navigating to next slide in HTML5.

You can take advantage of this fix by updating Storyline 360 and republishing your file. 

Let me know if you have any questions about that!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.