Articulate 360 and a few problems

Nov 30, 2016

Hi everyone,

currently I´m testing Articulate 360. 

As much as I was amazed by rise, as much I was disappointed by the new Storyline version. I´ve already worked with Articulate Storyline 2 and found the one or other thing not working. After 360 was announced I had high hopes that it´ll fix most of the issues that appeared in the previous version. Unfortunately there are not really many improvements compared to Storyline 2. It just seems to be the same software with very few new things.

I´m trying to build a new course and these are the things I had to face just after starting the work:

1.     Same old (sorry but ugly) Player. No real chance to make a beauty out of it with the given options.

2.     Same small and confusing trigger menu. (Maybe a Node based System would help)

3.     Triggers are still too limited.

4.     After building a layout master, adding a textfield and filling it with temp text including body-header, body-subheader , body-plain text and numerations  it messes it all up after clicking away and just applys one of the styles.

5.     After creating a feedback master with buttons, Storyline will convert some of the rounded buttons to rectangular ones without any states as soon as I want to give them a caption in the normal layer mode or change the text color. With others it´s just working fine.

6.     Similar things happen when I create a rounded button and customize the states. On some it changes the shape from rounded to a normal rectangle when I apply fill or border colors.

7.     Saving a customized round button as preset only works for some of the states applied.

8.     Invalid answer messages still can´t be customized through the feedback layers. You have to do it all manually which is quiet time consuming since you need to create all triggers by hand.

9.     There are still no options for creating a real percentage/status bar (like in rise) without a HUGE workaround.

10.    You need to click on an object in order to zoom in. If you zoom in with nothing selected and scroll with scrollbar right or left it jumps back to its centred position after releasing the mouse.

11.     No way to adress volume control with variables and sliders

12.    States of buttons, defined in the feedback master, are not transfered when I apply the theme to a new layer of a slide.

And that is just what I faced after one day of working with it….

There are a few other things and features that were requested quiet often in the forum over past years and still are nowhere to be found in Storyline 360.

Maybe that will change in future updates but I dont think so...

Coming back to the list of problem: Do you have any ideas for 4, 5, 6, 7, 12?

Thank you in advance ;)

Manuel

3 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Manuel, 

I'm glad to hear that you love Rise, but not that you're struggling with the use of Storyline. I'll try to address the issues below with some ideas and feedback, and if I miss one my apologies in advance - it's a long list! 

1. You could look at removing all the player elements if you don't like the current set up. Additionally it's customizable in terms of color, fonts, etc. But we get it's not for everyone - so that's why you're able to remove elements of it. If you do, it's worth noting that you won't be able to use the responsive player. 

2 and 3. Could you share more about the trigger behavior you'd like to see or how the trigger menu could be modified? You can submit those  ideas here in the forums or if you'd like to share your thoughts on it in a feature request. 

4, 5, 6 and 7. Do you have a .story file we could look at? It would also be helpful if you could record a quick video using Peek (part of the Articulate 360 suite of tools) to showcase the behavior you're seeing. You can share both of those here in the forums or send along to our Support Engineers. 

8. There is not a change to this in regards to invalid answer messaging, you'd still have to change the default language from the player text labels but you can't change the overall look of that layer.

9. This is still considered a feature request.

10. Is this while you're viewing the slide and editing it and you're looking at zooming in? I'm trying to follow this set up and I'm unsure of how you're seeing this. 

11. Since volume can often be control by the device, we've left the decision to including the volume controls as a part of the player and knowing that it could be disabled from there easily for the entire course. 

12. Are you applying the feedback master or a theme to a new slide? This sounds like something else we'd also want to take a look at.

Hope that helps clarify some of your questions and please let me know if you'd like us to take a look at any of those items. 

Manuel Thöne

Hi Ashley,

first of all thanks for your response.

A little addition to the invalid answer feedback layer.
Why can you change the appearance of every feedback layer other than the invalid answer?

And why is there no option to disable/hide the standard invalid answer feedback layer? At the moment you need to add an "if X is normal don´t send results" condition so the default invalid answer layer is not being triggered. For slides with up to 8 selectable multiple choice elements that´s quiet time consuming.

Since the company for whom I´m testing Storyline 360 is very strict about publishing internal documents I´m going to send the files to your support engineers. 

Thanks

Manuel

PS: Number 10 happened in editing mode when i zoomed to an object in the left upper corner. After I zoomed in and tried to scroll to the left it jumped back to it´s centered position after I released the mouse button from the scroll bar. However this somehow doesn´t happen anymore.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for sending it along to our Support Engineers and it looks like Ryan will be taking a look (case # 00963715 for my reference). I'll follow along there as well so that I can update this forum discussion as well. 

As far as the "why" I can't say for certain why it hasn't been included as an element within Storyline to edit that layer as I'm not on the Product team making those decisions. I think an option to hide/disable it certainly sounds like the easiest option so if you haven't done so already, it's worth documenting as a feature request here. 

Keep us posted if you're able to replicate the issues described in #10 again, it would be helpful to even have a video of the behavior if you can replicate consistently as well. You could use Peek as a quick screen recording tool.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.