Articulate Storyline 360 - Red X on timeline with error report

Sep 13, 2017

I was viewing a file in SCORM Cloud when I noticed the audio abruptly cut off on a slide. I went back into the .story file, and there was a red X on the timeline and I received an error report. I closed the file and reopened it. I was able to click on other slides, but as soon as I navigated to that particular slide, the same thing happened. 

I have reviewed several other threads in the community about this issue.

I am working on my local C drive, and I have 45 GB available. 

I restarted my computer. 

I have renamed the file. 

I have moved the file to another folder. 

I have imported it into a new .story file. 

None of these corrected the issue. 

I sent the file to Support a couple days ago (Case # 01133870) and have not heard back yet. 

Any ideas how to fix this?

3 Replies
Michael Anderson

I've read of many others ending up with corrupted files, although I've never had one myself, even when working from a network drive (which is not recommended by support). I wonder if support has ever pinned down a common issue with people that experience this. Computer speed, anti-virus, memory? I guess the only thing we can do is to make sure we back up regularly. I also have a habit of saving many different revisions (filenames) of projects anyway, as UNDO doesn't always work as it should. I will generally save a new filename every day or any time I make a major change to a project, which ever comes first.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tyler,

I'm so sorry you ran into a corrupt file! Not a fun part of the day.

Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). There are some know causes of file corruption such as working off a network/shared drive, the file name, or if files you're inserting are already corrupted. Take a look at some of our best practices  here. 

Also, you can often find a copy in the temp folders too. You may want to bookmark these steps: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

Let us know if you need anything else! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.