Audio & Video Become Out-Of-Sync Once Videos Are Uploaded to a Storyline 360 Project

Jul 08, 2019

In the attached file, you'll see that the audio and video are out-of-sync in the videos on slides 1.6 and 1.7. I build on my videos in Camtasia. When viewing the final video in Camtasia and again, after it is rendered as an MP4, the audio and video are fully in sync. But, once I upload them to Storyline, the audio is no longer in sync with the video. Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be going?

The video on slide 1.6 is 76.9 MB and the video on 1.7 is 62.7 MB. Is it possibly the size of the files? Do I need to compress them?

I'm working on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and I wondered if my poor little machine simply isn't powerful enough to keep up with Storyline when in preview mode. (i5 - 4300U CPU @ 1.9 GHz 250 GHz; 8.00 GB RAM; 64-bit operating system)

If this is the case, will the delay between the audio and video go away once I publish the file and upload it to my online LMS?

I hoping someone has dealt with this before and might be able to speed up my problem-solving curve on this one. Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

15 Replies
Starla West

Thank you, Tom, for taking a look at this.  This is crazy because there is
delay experienced on my end in both versions...and I viewed them a couple of
times each to be sure.
When the videos were playing, I checked my CPU and it was around 55% so it
wasn't maxed out. Could it be my wifi connection, perhaps? I'll try relocating
tomorrow to test it on a different network. Any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for your help with this,Starla

Starla West
Founder & President
Starla West InternationalExecutive Coaching and Business Leadership Training
(Certified WBE)55 Monument Circle, Suite 726
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-615-0758

Tom Kuhlmann

FYI the first link is inserted as is with the compression on.

The second link I deselected the compression on the video and set the video to the highest quality. The second link plays as well as the videos by themselves. The first link's quality is a little off, but that's to be expected at the lower quality and compression settings.

Noel Read

Hi Starla, I took a quick look at this and it's out of sync for me also - both you  version, and also Tom's version. I haven't had this issue before and use video and audio.

I had a play with re-rendering the first video, on mind mapping, and that sorted out the issue, so I would say it's something to do with how you exported the video. I've attached your story with the mind mapping video replaced with the one I did - so you can check to see if it also works for you.

Starla West

Thank you, Noel.
When you re-rendered it, did you do anything different with the frame rate
and/or bit rate?
On a separate but related note...I would like to use the progress bar with these
videos, but what I've found so far is if the learner uses the progress bar to
move forward or backwards, it messes with the timeline and throws off my
triggers. Is there anything I can do differently to avoid this and make the
progress bar available to the learner?
Thanks a ton!Starla
Starla West
Founder & President
Starla West InternationalExecutive Coaching and Business Leadership Training
(Certified WBE)55 Monument Circle, Suite 726
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317-615-0758

Noel Read

Hi, I used the following settings: Windows Media, 1920x1080 30fps progressive VBR, 2 pass, unconstrained, peak 10000.00kbps, Avg 10000 Windows Media Audio 9.2, 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit. I have Adobe Premiere Pro, but most good video editing tools will have similar settings.

I'm not an expert in this area, but you could change the trigger to show the 'click here for more info' button to change state to normal when media completes, rather than at cue point 1 - so if someone scrolls through the video quickly, that button will show when the video is finished, rather than at the time the video would have finished, if they had watched it all. This will be useful if they pause the video - it will stop the button from appearing before the video has finished.  

The only issue with this option is that if they replay the video, that button remains on screen. 

I'm sure there is a way to do it. Someone else will know for sure.

Leigh Mosley

Hello everyone, I know this thread is a bit old, but was the final consensus that changing the original video from 60 fps to 30 was helpful?  I have an mp4 video that - once inserted into a storyline 360 slide - develops a serious lag on its audio.  I've tweaked everything I can think of, toggling compression from automatic to none, increasing and then decreasing the video quality, but nothing helps.  My course presenter's lips no longer come close to matching her words, and it's really distracting.