Best Practices

Mar 05, 2013

Hey Community - 

I was just wondering what some of you have found to be best practices when using this software? 

By best practices, I am referring to things you do during the development process to eliminate issues during your QA. 

Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. 

Thanks 

12 Replies
Stephanie Harnett

Hi there, here are some of my tips:

1) keep the logic simple and well planned in the trigger panel. The triggers should be consistently organized slide to slide.

2) create short variable names that have logical sequencing and numbering

3) create variables for slides and use these to display scene/slide name references during testing so testers are able to let you know specifically which slide they are referring too (i.e. scene 2, slide 12 could be called S2S12)

4) document consistently (the purpose of triggers, the reason for a layer, etc) as you'll find it really easy to workaround issues, make things work, then come back later and wonder why you did what you did. Document everything.

5) keep daily versions if you're working on things daily or weekly if it's upkeep (i.e. I use a naming system like projectname-v001, -v002, etc)

6) template slides by thoroughly setting up and testing slide functionality then saving that out as an individual project. You can then import the slide(s) into other projects or multiple times within a single project.

7) take the time to create a library of your commonly used layouts and/or functionality (as you build it and know you'll reuse 80% of it again) and then do that, reuse it instead of re-creating it (and adding more QA time into the dev process)

8) publish often and check on multiple monitors and resolutions, multiple systems to catch any functionality or design issues early in the process otherwise you'll have to apply changes to more slides/scenes later which will add to dev time and increasing risk of errors.

9) create a PowerPoint companion file as a style kit where you record fonts, colors, logos, image treatments, special graphics built in ppt and brought into storyline, design elements, etc.

10) know where the bugs are, document your workarounds, keep it simple.

M. Bosscher
  1. Your goal should be to create something that does not look like the cliche'd powerpoint presentation.
  2. Don't use bullets.
  3. When you can, use the visited state - not a variable
  4. Don't use the sidebar unless the client/project specifically requires it.  Waste of real estate that can be used for content.
  5. SmartART. Create it in Powerpoint, import in as graphic.
  6. Break content up into scenes. Easier to test scenes, not entire projects.
  7. Create questions using the "Convert to Freeform" functionality.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.