Black screen with loading dots

Aug 08, 2023


In my course, once learners have completed all sections, they are taken to an overall results slide.

However, when selecting the next button to navigate to the overall results slide, a black buffering screen with 3 dots appears. This cannot be navigated away from and nothing loads in. It essentially breaks the course!

This happens when previewing the course in storyline, as well as when published to Review360 and SCORM Cloud.

Is there something on the final results slide causing this error?

Attached is a screenshot and project file.


9 Replies
hannah stone

I have been through the overall results slide and deleted elements until the navigation worked. It seems what is causing the issue is the variable references I have used on the slide to refer to each section's activities. Attached is a screenshot of an example.

Why would the variables references be causing this issue?


overall results slide example

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

yes it happens for me also (checked with Chrome)

a peek with the result

and I get many errors in the browser console

many (> 50):

  • Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'el')


  • Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'componentWillReceiveProps')
  • Warning: setState(...): Can only update a mounted or mounting component. This usually means you called setState() on an unmounted component. This is a no-op. Please check the code for the AccText component.
  • Uncaught Invariant Violation: findComponentRoot(..., .$_player=16CxZNxEGPOu=1675S9n5iqJR): Unable to find element. This probably means the DOM was unexpectedly mutated (e.g., by the browser), usually due to forgetting a <tbody> when using tables, nesting tags like <form>, <p>, or <a>, or using non-SVG elements in an <svg> parent. Try inspecting the child nodes of the element with React ID ``.
  • ...
Jürgen Schoenemeyer

it happens on Review 360 with Chrome (Firefox not tested)

I have added the link to Review 360 in my first post

please open a support case with a link to this thread

(the error messages are not for you, they are for the articulate support)

@support: after around 30 minutes of waiting, the 3 dots animation disappeared - but the main menu is not working

@support: the browser log file is the attachment

Eric Santos

Hi Hannah,

I'm happy to chime in, and I appreciate the help of Jürgen here as well!

Good job isolating the variable references causing the issue, Hannah! I ran some tests on the Storyline project and found that the variable references in slide 8.8 use built-in variables not used by the other Result slides. This causes the freezing issue as Storyline cannot associate the variable references. I replaced the variable references with the correct ones, and it fixed the problem. modified the variable referencesYou may need to update the variables in the triggers in slide 8.8 as well for the course to function properly.

triggers panel

I'm unsure where the variable versions with a '1' came from; they could've been generated by copying and pasting Result slides. I attached the revised Storyline project with this fix.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

hannah stone

Eric and Jurgen thank you both so much! You've been a great help.

I will definitely watch out for this in the future.

Eric, I would be interested to know more about the tests you ran on the file. Can you reveal more about what you did? I'd love to expand my knowledge in diagnosing issues in Storyline!



Eric Santos

Hi Hannah,

I'm happy to share the steps I applied during the investigation. First, I placed a button on the slide 1.1 that jumps directly to slide 8.8 to make things quicker; it should not affect the outcome of the tests. Then I previewed the project to reproduce the issue. I then removed the variable references and confirmed that they were the ones causing the problem.

Looking closely at the variable references, I checked if the variables were the ones being used by looking at the other Result slides. True enough, incorrect variables proved to be the cause of the issue.

Since the project contains a lot of slides, putting a button on the first slide that jumps directly to the affected slide is always a good idea!

Tracy Parish

Thanks Eric.  This helped me too.  I had used an old course/template to create a new one and when I got to the Results slide I was missing a few things and had a few not working.

1 - I had to ensure the quiz was tracking/scoring the correct "new" questions

2 - I had to ensure my triggers were using the new quiz variables.  To help with this I renamed the quiz  (on the results slide, design, quiz settings, name.... the name here copies over to the built-in variable so it was easier to locate instead of results.scorepercent and results1.scorepercent.  My new quiz name "final_quiz" came up in the variables list as final_quiz.scorepercent.)

3 - I had variables inserted on my slide "here is the score you got" and they were pointing to the old (template's) results.scorepercent instead of the new quiz (final_quiz.scorepercent) I had just created.

(hope that makes sense)

Steven Benassi

Hi Tracy!

I'm so glad to hear the solution Eric provided helped to resolve your issue with Results slides! Thanks for reaching out and sharing the steps you took. I'm sure other users discovering this thread with a similar issue will find this very useful!

If you run into any trouble moving forward please let us know and we'd be happy to help. Have a great rest of your week!