Building 50-100-150 Question Exams in Storyline (with Exam Banks)

May 17, 2016

We are having some challenges building "end of course" exams (interactive and knowledge check quizzes are easy) due to the size and somewhat cumbersome nature of the SCORM files.  Many of our courses are used for professional licensing requiring 50-100-150 questions, with the capability of pulling from exam banks to repopulate 2nd and 3rd attempts with random changes in questions.  The SCORM files get HUGE!  Is there a "best practice" for constructing such exams in SL2?

4 Replies
Justine Steele

We have a few exams that pull from large question banks and have experienced various issues. So, I am not able to help, but also hoping for assistance.

• File size is giant
  • Sporadic grades of zero, even when all questions answered correctly
  • Zero grade after reviewing results, again sporadic

We have consulted with our LMS provider and our IT department and there is no answer as to why this is happening. All other courses function great, it is just our exams that have issues.

Jim Greer

Thanks Justine.  It's good to know that we aren't the only one(s).  We have yet to find a good work-around.

Question: Have you considered other exam alternatives for these exams?

We have considered third party exam applications, even if they cannot be "attached" to our LMS and the SCORM record.  Many of the "other" purely exam apps are designed more simply and do their jobs very well.  I just haven't made a decision to give them a try...PLUS, just the work involved in trying to populate the exam app with the exam questions and answers, would seem to be problematic at best...and a monster at worst.

Dave Cox

Without some investigation, it may be difficult to narrow down the problem. 

I would suggest that you try turning on the debug function in a test version of your project. Take a look here to see how to do this. This will open a window that shows communications with the LMS for every interaction in you project. From here, you can evaluate what is actually sent to the LMS, as well as the final results sent. Your LMS and SCORM expert should be able to help you to interpret what all of that stuff means. This should give you a much better clue as to what is, or is not working correctly.

Another method that i use sometimes that gives more concise data is to modify the scorm files to send output to the console. The console is not normally displayed in the browser, but you can get to it on most browsers by pressing F12, and selecting the console tag. The file to edit depends on what scorm you are using, but if you can tell me that I can tell you how to insert a command to send the raw score to the console every time that it is sent.

I hope that this helps you some.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.