Can Articulate Storyline send report to a database other than LMS?

Hi everyone,

Good day!

I'm Kaye from Australia and I am new to Articulate Storyline. I was hoping someone can please help me or let me know if this is possible in Storyline?

The e-learning packages that we develop should send a report to a database.  As we do not use LMS, I am wondering if by any chance Storyline can export .txt files everytime a different user passes the package that also states their name, total score, and other information.

OR

Does Storyline able to export an Excel file that collates all the users who have passed the package and also detailing their name, total score, and other information like type of department they belong to?


On another note, would you also know if the variable for the "Results.PassPercent" can be changed into another name?  The reason being, using this name will not export the actual pass percent when included onto a javascript code.  It will export the value of 0. 

Thank you very much.  I am looking forward to the responses please.

Regards,

Kaye

13 Replies
Sara Reller

I have used SharePoint to get some of this functionality without having an LMS, others have used Google Forms (or other form programs) to capture some information. It can't (from what I've experienced) capture the quiz results from inside Storyline, but I've used SharePoint to have users take a Quiz at the end (one that counts) which can then automatically capture some (depending on your SP install) of the information you are looking for. For something like Google Forms you'd need your user to self report things like name etc.

Kaye Lirio

Leslie McKerchie said:

Hi Kaye and Welcome to E-Learning Heroes! Tracking results via text file or database is not supported by Articulate.  Community members here may have other methods/ideas that they are utilizing though.

Hi Leslie, thank you for this and I really appreciate your response.  
Kaye Lirio

Sara Reller said:

I have used SharePoint to get some of this functionality without having an LMS, others have used Google Forms (or other form programs) to capture some information. It can't (from what I've experienced) capture the quiz results from inside Storyline, but I've used SharePoint to have users take a Quiz at the end (one that counts) which can then automatically capture some (depending on your SP install) of the information you are looking for. For something like Google Forms you'd need your user to self report things like name etc.

Hi Sara, thank you very much for your detailed response. I really appreciate this. I shall have a search and read through on SharePoint as I have not used this before.  I will also look into Google Forms as another option.  I hope we will be able to use either of these in our system as this will really be a big help. :-)  Thank you once again, Sara.  :-)  
john faulkes

Hi Kaye,

You can do this, but as Leslie said above, it's not directly supported by Articulate.

For what (think) you are trying to achieve, I would strongly recommend sending storyline variables directly into a database. if you capture in Google forms or Sharepoint, you are putting data into packages that also have constraints on what you can do. Once the data is in a dB you are completely free to do whatever you like with them and report in any way. It is not possible for SL to export to Excel but this is perfectly straightforward do do once the data is in a database - if for example you wish to do on-the-fly analyses of data rather than pre-programmed queries.

You can capture scores from the pre-built quizzes or you can create your own custom quizzes.

Happy to talk more about it..we've got a big package running at the moment that is doing this....send me a private message by all means.

John.a.

Mike Taylor

Hi Kaye! Welcome to the E-learning Heroes community. In addition to the suggestions of using a webform like Google Docs or Sharepoint there are people like John who are saving Storyline data into a database. Here is one previous discussion that specifically mentions "Results.PassPercent" and this article with some JavaScript best practices and examples may also be helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Kaye Lirio

john faulkes said:

Hi Kaye,

You can do this, but as Leslie said above, it's not directly supported by Articulate.

For what (think) you are trying to achieve, I would strongly recommend sending storyline variables directly into a database. if you capture in Google forms or Sharepoint, you are putting data into packages that also have constraints on what you can do. Once the data is in a dB you are completely free to do whatever you like with them and report in any way. It is not possible for SL to export to Excel but this is perfectly straightforward do do once the data is in a database - if for example you wish to do on-the-fly analyses of data rather than pre-programmed queries.

You can capture scores from the pre-built quizzes or you can create your own custom quizzes.

Happy to talk more about it..we've got a big package running at the moment that is doing this....send me a private message by all means.

John.a.

Hi John, thank you very much for your detailed response.  These are very very helpful and I shall take note of your advice.  I am personally a Multimedia designer and not a computer programmer and not very familiar with coding.  However, I shall do more research on these and do some tests to make sure it works as how we would want it to. Yes please I may have to send you a private message to talk more on this.  Thank you once again, John.   
Kaye Lirio

Mike Taylor said:

Hi Kaye! Welcome to the E-learning Heroes community. In addition to the suggestions of using a webform like Google Docs or Sharepoint there are people like John who are saving Storyline data into a database. Here is one previous discussion that specifically mentions "Results.PassPercent" and this article with some JavaScript best practices and examples may also be helpful.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Mike, good day.    Thank you very much for your response and for the following information.  These are really helpful and I shall read through the articles and let you know how I go. :-)  Thank you once again, Mike. :-)
Kei Ishida

Sara Reller said:

I have used SharePoint to get some of this functionality without having an LMS, others have used Google Forms (or other form programs) to capture some information. It can't (from what I've experienced) capture the quiz results from inside Storyline, but I've used SharePoint to have users take a Quiz at the end (one that counts) which can then automatically capture some (depending on your SP install) of the information you are looking for. For something like Google Forms you'd need your user to self report things like name etc.


Sara - I'm in a situation where I have SharePoint and no LMS. I'm interested to know what you've done using SharePoint and Storyline. Can you give me more detail about what you've done? Are you passing quiz results to lists? If so, how? Thanks in advance, K

Richard Brown

Kaye et al,

Having the same need (to export variables to other file formats), I just googled, "export storyline variables." In addition to finding this thread, I found https://player.vimeo.com/video/204929978 - a simple demo of how to modify and instantiate a small JavaScript file that moves the data into a .txt file. The movie shows how to move the data to a file located on the a user's computer. That line of the code can easily be modified to move the data to a file located on a web server (as long as the file has read/write permissions set - I think those are "766"; see - https://kb.iu.edu/d/abdb for a refresher on file permissions on UNIX boxes).

Hope this is helpful.

Chaitra K

Hi,

This is Chaitra from India.  I am new to Articulate. Can someone please help me out for the following questions.

1. How to send quiz results to our website in Articulate Storyline 3 ?

Basically, this is how it works. We will deploy module + quiz in our application and users will have to take quiz and when they click on submit button results has to be sent to our website. 

2. Where shall we provide the link in Storyline 3 so that we receive the results in our website. 

It would be really a great help if you could help me out.