Can't import translated xliff file

Mar 06, 2020

I have received translated XLIFFs from a trenalting agency, but when I try to import them to SL i get this error message:

Unsupported XLIFF File: The document target language should be present only when Target elements are present. Check that both are present or neither are present.

I have no idea how to check this, and what I actually should check. PLease inform me.

16 Replies
Vincent Scoma

Hi Lis,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry that you are running into a similar snag here. 

While I wasn't able to find an update on this case, we are happy to help troubleshoot! Would you be able to share the XLIFF file that is giving you trouble? You can use this private link to share the file with us. We'll let you know our findings and will delete it after having a closer look! 

Elizabeth Bauer

Thank you for commenting, Leslie, as it was a good reminder to come back and post a note for anyone looking for information on this error message in the future. The issue was that the translation vendor provided us with incomplete and corrupted files and we had to have them re-do the translation. Opening a ticket so that someone on the Articulate side could look at the .xlf file itself was key.

Becca Levan

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes, Rise 04! ⭐️

Sorry to hear you're hitting a similar roadblock. I don't see a case history regarding this error for Lis, but we're happy to help troubleshoot!

If you're comfortable sharing the XLIFF file, feel free to connect with one of our support engineers here so they can lend a hand. Then someone from my team will reach out with the next step!

Jose Tansengco

Hi Guillermo, 

Sorry to hear that you ran into this behavior. There isn't one specific cause and solution that we've identified for this error message. I'd recommend opening a case with our support team and sharing your translation file and Storyline 360 project file there so we can take a closer look at what's happening! 

Bogdan Hotea

For anyone facing this issue, open your XLF file with a code editor and check the first line

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><xliff srcLang="en-US" trgLang="fr-CA" version="2.0" ... rest of the code

My file was missing the "trgLang=" part, which seems to be the culprit for the error "Unsupported XLIFF File: The document target language should be present only when Target elements are present. Check that both are present or neither are present."

Once I added the target language, the import worked.