Cannot open Storyline 3 files (Ver: 3.2.13213.0) in latest version

Jun 15, 2018

Hi I am trying to use *.story files  from the above version in the latest version of SL3 - (3.4.15731.0)  but all I get is "The project is corrupt or invalid, it may have been created in an earlier version" which it was.

I was under the assumption that SL3 is backward compatible. Is there any way around this, as the intention is to allow several users to use the original file.

TIA

Paul

6 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Paul,

You should always be able to open Storyline 3 files in the most recent version of Storyline 3. The corruption error you're seeing suggests there's something deeper going on here.

I'm really sorry you've hit that road block. It's an awful position to be in, made only more frustrating by how tricky it is to track down the cause of the corruption. There are a few things that we know contribute to corruption, and the majority of users who follow the best practices outlined here don't run into any of these corruption issues. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Sadly, once a file is corrupt, there isn't anything we can do to repair it. Looking in your temp folders is our best recommendation to find an earlier version, and then follow those guidelines to prevent any future issues. 

Steven Croft

I'm having this at the moment too. Paul - are you opening the file locally? I get the message when opening from MS Sharepoint. The folder is mirrored to my PC so not sure that counts as network!? But when I copy it locally it opens fine.
Alyssa - if I then try to save a local file back to sharepoint I get the message "...could not be saved. Object must be a root directory ("C:\") or a drive letter ("C").
Does this point to a change with SL or our sharepoint!? I've never had an issue before saving to sharepoint.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.