Co-design using Storyline 360

Oct 13, 2020

Hi all,

I need advices!

We have started developping a new training material using SL360.

We are 3 to work on this design... 

Do you have best practices or tips to master such a collaboration with SL360 ?

How to well collaborate if we are 3 or more to work on the same topic... at the end, we need to deliver only 1 file...

Thanks to all for you help.

JP

5 Replies
Judy Nollet

Hi, JP.

It's nice to share a workload. However, multiple people working on the same topic/course can be tricky. You have to be extremely careful with version control. Below are a few tips that might help. 

• Definitely get a "standards" file set up with the desired size, colors, fonts, player features, etc. The team might even include an extra scene to store slides with copies of the types of buttons and text boxes you want to use. This will help ensure a consistent "look and feel" from all 3 of you.
  • If all 3 of you have the same role, you could each work on a sub-topic using a copy of the "standards" file, and then import those sub-topics into 1 file. 
    • Be aware that Storyline creates a new set of Master layouts when you do this, even if they match what's already in the file. This adds to the overall size. However, you can reassign the layouts so all slides use the same set, and then delete the unused ones.
  • If you each perform different roles (for example, one will write, one will prepare graphics, and one will program the interactions), I suggest you schedule when each of you will work on the file and on how you will transfer it to the next person. 
    • I also suggest saving copies as you work. This will make it easier to review or revert to an earlier version. 
    • A typical version-control method is to add the date (and possible the time) to the end of the file name. With a team, you could also add initials. For example: Course_Title_2020_10_13_JPM.  (I recommend the YYYY-MM-DD date format because it automatically puts the files in order when they're listed by name.)

Best wishes for success!

Jean-Pascal Mulot

Hi Judy,

Many thanks for your feedback!

This is what we have set up with my team... I defined a "master" file. Then, I duplicated this kind of template by chapter, after defining the colors, size, layouts, ...

I lead the master file by merging with sub-files coming from my collegues... When I import a scene from their SL360, I need to update many slides because of layouts which are wrong sometimes... 

In this case, I do not understand very well why we have this kind of behavior with some layout, because they have worked with the same "initial" file (duplication of the master one).

I use also this discussion to ask you one more question:

Do you know why do we have also this layout issue when I create a slide using Layout 1, and I need to update this slide by changing Layout 1 by Layout 2, due to a mistake ? In this case, I need to rework many shapes in my slide, because, for example, texts are no more in the good shape!

Thanks for tips... ;-)

Judy Nollet

Hi again, JP.

My guess is that the issues caused by changing from one layout to another happen because the program doesn't always have a one-to-one correlation between objects in separate layouts. Sure, the text designated in the title text box usually switches just fine. But the other objects can be "quirky" (to put it politely). 

When you need to switch layouts, consider doing this: Insert a new slide with the proper layout. Then copy and paste the text from the "bad" slide into the new one. That might be easier than reworking the shapes (at least, in some cases). 

Katie Riggio

Hi Eric!

Do you have a specific collaboration idea in mind? We'd love to learn more!

In the meantime, check out these recommended workflows when sharing a Storyline project with other developers:

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.