Continuous background music in Storyline 360

May 23, 2017

I am creating a Storyline project that has multiple slides with Engage interactions. In Presenter I could add continuous music by making a Playlist. However, this option doesn't seem to be available  in Storyline. I tried adding the audio to each individual slide, but then whenever the user clicks on a different part of the Engage module the audio would simply restart. Is there any solution to this? 

Pinned Reply
Lauren Connelly

Hi everyone!

Good news! I'm happy to share that we just released Storyline 360 (Build 3.81.31200.0), which includes a feature to control the background audio for each slide using triggers to play, pause, or stop the playlist.

This was highly requested, so we hope it serves you in your course creation! If you run into any snags, don't hesitate to contact our team in a support case.

59 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hey Jason!  Great question--it's a popular one!

Have a look at this post by Emily.  She gives a great workaround to getting your audio to play across all slides in Storyline.

There are lots of participants in that discussion, so if you have any questions about using that trick, feel free to post a reply in there!

Marco Lara

And how can i let te user decide to level up, down or turn off the audio? also in my Project i'm gonna includes some videos with sound, so i need to turn off the music in some slides. Now how can i control this preferences? Incredible that storyline has a lot of opportunities, and still have won award for the best program for E-Learning. Many things that can not be done directly from the program, it helps enough that there is a community that gives us tricks, but currently there are programs like Captivate that if they have these options without the need to resort to tricks.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Marco,

You can add a volume controller in your player for learners viewing on a desktop computer. Volume controller does not display on the mobile devices because those devices have their own volume buttons.

The ability to disable the volume control per slide is a feature request that we are tracking and I'll add this conversation to the report.

Marco Lara

Thank you Leslie for taking time to answer.  My e-Learning is for desktop computer users so not a problem, but the thing is that the user can't control volumen or turn off audio, because that control on the player just Works for audio on each slide. this control dont work if i do the trick of the "background music" editing the HTML with the script that Emily recomends. I want that the user can handle the option to hear or not the background music for the entire course, and also how can i program that the background music stop on certain slides when there's gonna be a video.

G Powell

Desperately trying to get this to work in 360 though can't seem to. I am uploading the file to the internet.  Where is the index_lms.html and index_lmx_html5.html located? I have edited the story and story_html files though it is still not working! Would appreciate more help on this and if anyone could provide a template example that would be brilliant . Thanks!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Angela,

This has not bubbled up to the top of the request pile at this time, but I did want to share a resource with you where you can see some of the upcoming items:

Articulate 360 Feature Roadmap

In addition, this is still on our radar, and this conversation is attached so that we can share any updates with you here in the future.