Copying Variables via Quizmaker when importing into SL360

Aug 08, 2017

Hi everyone,

When I have imported existing projects from older Presenter projects, I get a message about variables already named, and the need to copy or rename them. I am unfamiliar with this function; could anyone explain what this means? I am not certain what to do when this option presents itself. Attaching a screen shot. I believe this relates to importing Quizmaker files into SL360. Thanks much!

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Glenn,

Hmm, that's odd. I'd only expect to see that error message if you tried to import a file that had variables into another file with variables. I'm not sure why that would happen with a Quizmaker file.

Would you mind sharing the .quiz file with me? I'd like to import it into Storyline 360 to see if I get the same error. Thanks!

Glenn Drysdale

Hi Alyssa,

I've seen this before on an old, what I would call, knowledge check quiz when there was also an end quiz--but the knowledge check quiz may not have been selected to be scored. Could this confuse things somehow? I picked an option, don't recall which, even, at this point.

I am glad to share this; how might I do that so that it is not shared with everyone, as it is proprietary?

Thanks much.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for sharing your file with me! The message you're seeing is really more of a prompt, and not an error message. Since you're importing multiple quizzes (with multiple results slides) into the same Storyline project, it's possible that those results slides may have the same variables.

That prompt, which was added in Update 7,  is simply letting you know if you have two of the same variable in a project. You can choose to either to merge those variables or to copy and rename the variable. 

In most cases, you'll want to copy and rename the variable. You can also select "do this for the next conflict" so that you won't see the prompt every time you import a file.

I hope that clears things up!

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Glenn,

The only thing you'll want to watch out for is that you don't have duplicate variables on your results slides. For example, if you have two separate quizzes, then you'll want to have two separate variables for each quiz: "Results.ScorePoints" and "Results1.ScorePoints". Otherwise, both results slides will incorrectly show the same score. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.