corrupt file

Feb 23, 2017

I spent one week creating an ILearn and I saved it to my C drive on my CPU as dictated in the instructions but now I can not access it. I am constantly getting an error message that the file can not be opened because it may be corrupt. Has anyone else experienced this and is there anyway to get my work back ?

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nathalie,

I'm sorry to hear you ran into this - did you look to see if theres a  working version of your project in your temp files? Here's how to check: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Bernice Merced

Hello, I was hoping to get support with a similar issue. I tried the steps above but sadly, do not see a temp file for the specific course I was working on. When trying to open my S3 file it tells me it's corrupt or that it was created using an earlier version (but I did use S3)... see attached.

I also tried opening a new file and importing the .story file in it to import the slides but got the following error:

My course is due tomorrow for a client review and I am desperate need of support :(

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Oh no, Bee! I'm sorry those steps haven't worked for you so far. 😕 

I also looked to see if you had started a case with our Support Team and didn't find anything. If you're able to share the file with them, they may be able to help, but often a corrupt file isn't reversible. We have some documented steps here to help prevent corruption in the future.

If you need us to take a look at the file, upload to our Support Team as soon as you can! They'll try their best to get you back up and running. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.