"Corrupt" files

Nov 21, 2014

I have been working on 2 projects since last summer.  This Fall I upgraded to Storyline 2.  I was initially able to open up two projects that I am working on in Storyline 2, but this week, when I saved them - I am now getting these errors and can't open them up. (see pics)

Can anyone help me with what I need to do to access them again?

10 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Brian, 

Really sorry to hear about your Storyline file. Unfortunately, once a .STORY file becomes unusable, it's no longer recoverable.

When creating, editing, or publishing a Storyline project, we recommend working from your local hard drive (typically your C: drive). Working from a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, such as file corruption, an inability to save changes you've made to your project, and loss of resources.

Here's a helpful article for you. 

Bart Pattyson

Hello.

Curious if there have been any further updates or learnings around corrupt file issues. I upgraded to Storyline 2 without issue all year, and in an effort compress a project by converting 2 embedded videos (large .mp4 files) to a web part (youtube), I then encountered corrupt file messages and can't save the project. (i've since moved files to c:drive, and no luck)

thoughts?

thanks!

Ali Goulet
Hi Bart,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out here. I'm really sorry to hear about your Storyline project files. However, there may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

File corruption is unpredictable, and there's no straightforward way to determine what causes it. Common causes are environmental (disk errors, power outages, improper shutdowns), viruses, failed Windows updates, and even file size (i.e., very large files have a higher risk of corrupting). You mentioned moving them to your C:drive after the fact. If you were working from a drive that wasn't local to begin with, this may have played a role in the corruption you're experiencing.

Along with the helpful tips Dan provided above, consider using the preventative measures described in this article to protect your project files. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.