44 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Sorry to hear that they didn't work for you Emma, but I do see that my colleague Abel provided you with these steps to look through your temp folders and see if the files were still accessible to you there:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Hope that helped you track them down, and feel free to keep us posted here or in your case with Abel.

Emma Herbert

Hi guys,

I've been getting in the habit of daily back ups now since the last two corruptions and everything has been fine since December.

Unfortunately I just did the Articulate 360 updates and my file has become corrupted once again.

If this is to happen every time there is an update it's going to be a huge problem.

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Emma,

I wouldn't expect that to be happening with the updates or on a regular basis with Storyline 360 if you're following our general guidelines for working on project files. So it would lead me to believe that there is a larger underlying cause that we'd want to investigate with our Support Engineers. 

I saw you previously had a case with Abel but that there wasn't any additional communication after our initial suggestions to ensure you're following the guidelines to prevent file corruption. We'd want to dig a bit deeper into what's happening on your end to help resolve the issue. If you have the email from Abel still you can respond to that to reopen it or you can start a new case here and if you reference this forum discussion they'll have a bit more of your history to reference. 

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi TJ,

Our Support team is still working through this issue with Emma, so I don't have a fix or update to share here yet, but once I get additional information I can come back to share any updates with you here. If you'd like our team to investigate your files specifically we're happy to do so - you can send it along to us here. 

Juraj Gabrhel

Hi, I have the same problem and one friend on his PC too. I cannot open any recent projects (This project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened...). The same for older projects created in SL2 - there is an upgrade message, but then the same error. Also I cannot create any new project - automatically error window appears. Even cannot close Storyline then - also error window. Have to shut down with Task manager.

Using SL360 latest version. Reinstall did not work.

Stellios Patsiatzis

Wow, releasing a piece of software with a 'million' bugs is one thing, but one that randomly corrupts files in particular is a true feat. Second time it's happened to me. Case 1: Wasted 2 months since I tried to access a backup from the cloud when my laptop was destroyed. Case 2: learned to backup regularly in multiple locations and only lost 3 hours (not due to an upgrade) but hey... this is a huge issue that begs the question of a transition to an alternative. Absurd.

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Stellios, 

I'm really sorry to hear you have run into issues with file corruption. It's never fun, and notoriously difficult to track down. 

A common cause is working off a network/shared drive - and so I'd recommend following the guidelines and best practices here. 

If you'd like us to take a look at your particular set up and files - our team is happy too! You’re always welcome to share with our Support Engineers here. They’re available 24/7 to assist! 

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know. 😀

Kelly Iblings

Original Posting:

 Abel provided you with these steps to look through your temp folders and see if the files were still accessible to you there:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This worked great for me!  I had to figure out how to: 1. Find the App Data folder 2. How to change the extension (see below for details on how to change extension for Windows 7).  After I figured that out I was able to work on my 2 GB projects (yikes!) without having to redo the entire thing.  (Love this blog/community!)

How to change extensions on temp files within Windows 7:

Click the Start menu. ...
Type "folder options" (without the quotes). ...
A dialog box with the title "Folder Options" will appear. ...
Click to uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types".
Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
Go to Windows Explorer and "Rename" your .TMP file to .STORY