Drag and Drop variable

May 18, 2021

I am a new user of Articulate Storyline. I am trying to create a test where the user must drag signal lenses to their correct location on the signal body. In this case, I have two red lenses that can go onto two different locations. It doesn't matter which red lens is placed on the positions. I have found a similar situation using these forums but can't figure out how to show the wrong answer. I can only seem to get it to show the correct answer. I have uploaded the file I am using to test this out. Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Bob, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

Thank you for sharing your .story file!

Your logic for the triggers is spot on! The reason they are not working is the type of variable you used. You were referencing True/False in your triggers, but your variables were set to Text with a default value of (blank). So when a trigger called for "False," that value never existed.

You have two options (and I used them both on your file so you could see how they worked):

• Best practices: use True/False variables. That way, Storyline knows that if something is not true, then it can only be false.
  • Keep them as text variables, but instead of looking for a False value in your triggers, look for a (blank) value

Let me know if this makes sense after looking at your attached edited file!

Bob Lynch
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Bob, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

Thank you for sharing your .story file!

Your logic for the triggers is spot on! The reason they are not working is the type of variable you used. You were referencing True/False in your triggers, but your v

Thanks for the quick reply Maria, also thank your for the clarification and the edited file that I can study. Thought the results still come out as incorrect, even when the correct lenses are in the correct spots, it gives me a direction to go. Thank you very much. :)

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Bob.

Thank you for letting me know! I missed one detail: on your trigger for the Incorrect layer, since we're not using binary for the Yellow and Lunar, it looks for a blank value. Those will always be blank (as you don't have a trigger to turn them to a different value), which means this will always call for the Incorrect layer.

I made some changes to your file and turned all the variables to True\False type. I also added triggers, so the yellow lens object had to be dropped at the Yellow target. 

You will need to adjust the Results slide. Since you're not using the built-in drag and drop interaction, the user will never achieve 100%. In that case, I'd create a variable to count correct dropped objects so that you could add a score to that slide.

Screen Recording 2021-05-19 at 12.07.53 PM

Let me know if this works!

Bob Lynch

Thank you for this help, Maria.

You mentioned that I will need to adjust the results slide. I am not actually sure how to customize the results slide to show these variables. This customized drag and drop quiz question will ultimately be part of a 25 question quiz. This would likely be the only no standardized question in the test, due to the two red lenses being able to be dropped in the way I set them up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.