Embedded YouTube videos not working in Articulate Storyline 360

Feb 06, 2017

Hi all,

I have created a few courses that contain embedded YouTube videos over the last few weeks and when they first launched, seemed to work fine. But now, users are seeing black screens when they get to the slides w/ the embedded video. There's no error message, the screen is just black. I have noticed that it seems to work in Chrome (not 100% of the time) but IE is definitely not working. 

I'm trying to determine what is happening....if it's Articulate, our facility's browser settings or something with YouTube. I have tested the YouTube links in various browsers and they seem to work in that way...it's just the embedded links. 

Any thoughts? Anyone hear if there have been any changes with YouTube or if there's some kind of bug in SL 360?

11 Replies
Karoline Keyworth

Hi Alyssa,

Thank you for your response. I submitted a ticket so hopefully I can get some additional insight. I have to post a course monthly with a differing YouTube video as a web object. It has worked seamlessly for me for the past two years but for some reason this last week, everyone has had troubles playing the YouTube video in Internet Explorer as it comes up as a black screen with no error message and nothing to click. All other browsers seem to work to as designed, unfortunately we have a large company and Internet Explorer is the preferred browser because many other processes only work through that browser or it's the only option some computers provide. I've test the course in several different ways and checked into our internal security issues, Flash updates, etc. to see if I could figure out a solution but I'm at a dead end. Is there something I may be missing?

Thank you!
Karoline

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Karoline, 

Thanks for letting me know you opened a case (01073034). I see you mentioned there that the video plays in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome without issue. It will also play in IE when tested on SCORM cloud, but will not play on Cornerstone and instead shows a black box.

This might have something to do with Cornerstone being a secure environment (HTTPS). Try changing the YouTube link in the web object to begin with HTTPS, and let me know if that makes a difference. 

Karoline Keyworth

Thank you for the thought, Alyssa. Unfortunately, that is not the issue. We publish the web objects with a HTTPS address. I wish it were that simple! When I reached out to Cornerstone, they stated it as an issue with Articulate since it was the SCORM course launched (although with it only being an issue in Cornerstone in Internet Explorer, it doesn't make sense why that would be the case). 

Alyssa Gomez

Uh-oh, I know that's frustrating. Did you mention that the video plays without a problem in SCORM Cloud in Internet Explorer? 

We have a thread that was created specifically for Cornerstone users, so it might be helpful to post your question there, as well. That way other folks who have experience with CSOD can offer advice. 🙂

Karoline Keyworth

Hi Alyssa, Thank you for your responses. I wanted to post on here in case anyone else ran into the issue. Cornerstone automatically has their course upload to be IE7 Compatability. Within the course upload settings, you can change it so that it does have compatibility automatically set for the course, which was ultimately what caused our recent issue with the videos not playing in Cornerstone only. I would be happy to walk through the issue if anyone else runs into the same thing. 

Thank you again for your help! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.