Error when opening Storyline 360 file

Oct 25, 2019

When trying to open a file from server it does not open with an error stating "This project is invalid or corrupt and cannot be opened. It may have been created in an earlier version of Storyline".

We know that the files were not created in earlier versions as these are projects that we created last week.

I tried making a copy on my desktop and it worked, I could open the file but this was not across all the files as some kept giving as the same error even after making a copy on my desktop. I also tried after opening the file to replace the one from the server but then the error message would come back and not open.

It is important for me to fix this issue as we work on Storyline everyday for a large corporation and need  this resolved asap.

Thanks

22 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are running into. 

Diane is correct.

Be sure you're working on your local hard drive (typically your C: drive) when creating, editing, and publishing Storyline courses. Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, such as file corruption or an inability to save changes. See this article for more information and tips. 

Leanne Falconer

I have noticed a dramatic increase in error messages when opening Storyline 360 files lately and not only from those on the server. I more often than not get a message that says "The file "XXXX" is being used by another process or you do not have the proper security permission to access this resource. Make a copy of your project file, then try to open the new file."

Is this related?

Vincent Scoma

Hi Leanne, 

This message usually appears if multiple users are trying to access the same Storyline project file. If you are working with files from a shared network drive, this can lead to unexpected/erratic behavior. I would recommend working on a local hard drive to avoid any unexpected behavior. 

The article that Leslie references here provides some great tips on this! 😄

Leanne Falconer

Hi

That would make sense if it only happened for those files that are on a shared network drive and are being accessed by more than one person. However it is happening for those on the shared drive and those on my local C drive. Also no one else is using my files as we each work on our own projects. 

I am now getting this error almost 80% of the time when i try access a file and I cant  figure out why.  I see that Matthew has been having the same issue. Really this has only been happening in the last 2 to 3 months. Could any of the updates that have been pushed be causing this?

Leanne

Lauren Connelly

Hi all!

There are a few reasons why you'll receive this error message. As Vincent mentioned above, it could very well be that multiple people are opening the same Storyline file.

It could also be the files aren't being saved locally. You'll want to make sure that files are saved locally before working on them. 

Paul Ortiz-Gomez

When it was happening to me it was doing it on both, server and local drive.

Get Outlook for iOS
************** IMPORTANT MESSAGE *****************************
This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information which may be
confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Unless
specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or commitment by the sender
or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian credit licence 234945)
or its subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please reply to this
e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.

Amber Oakley
Matthew Bibby
Vincent Scoma

This message usually appears if multiple users are trying to access the same Storyline project file.

Lately, it have been seeing this message a lot.

I work from my C:\ and am the only person who is working on these files. If I dismiss the error message and try and open the course for a second time, it'll open and all will be well.

I have also been getting this message a lot lately and I work from my C:/ drive.
Is this due to recent updates?

Kayla Burtch

Your software is now broken, clearly many are having this issue even when working locally and it's honestly completely unacceptable. We pay a LOT of money per month to have functioning software, and whatever updates you are forcing on your end are destroying hours of our work and costing us thousands of dollars.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Kayla!

I'm so sorry this has been a constant battle! I've opened a case on your behalf so that we can investigate why your files are consistently corrupted. I've emailed you and escalated your case to our Support Engineers. I encourage you to continue the conversation in the support case so that we can troubleshoot until we find a solution. For reference, your case number is 02053470.

Leanne Falconer

Hi Lauren

Please can you raise it as a larger issue as just looking and the comments above this is happening to more than one person. We are a team of three developers using Articulate 360 and we are all experiencing this issue with our files irrespective of whether they are on a shared drive or our local c drive. 

Thanks

Leanne

Lisa LC

I'm having the same issues as above, and I've tried everything suggested including deleting an reinstalling the programs. I regularly save back-up versions of my files, and none of those are opening either. Oddly enough, I can open Storyline and start new projects, I just can't open any old or current files. This issue just started yesterday.   

Becca Levan

Hi Chris!

I'm sorry you're hitting a similar roadblock when trying to open a Storyline file, and I don't see a standard solution to the other cases we have logged for folks in this discussion.

From here, I'd recommend connecting with one of our support engineers to help troubleshoot and determine a cause for this error. One of my teammates will be in touch with the next step shortly after!