Exported ZIP from Storyline to Review360 now missing .story and cannot reload/import

Apr 24, 2023

Hi Heroes.

I spent quite some time working on a project in story line. I would regularly save, exit, and return and simply reopen the project and continue working in story line.

I have published the project to Review 360 and feedback has been received. 

I have opened story line and the course is not visible in my recent folder. When I attempt to import the course, (as a measure to eliminate all issues) I attempted to load the zip file (cannot load this file type) when I extract the zip and try to load the file, there is no .story file to load into story line?

I have searched my PC, downloads, documents, onedrive, and there is no .story file for this course?

Yet, when I open the zip, all the mp4 videos are there as well as the normal folders: common, extend, html5, lms, mobile, story_content, unique, vocab etc.

Note, when I created another project and followed the same process, exported to Review 360, while the project does not appear in my recent folder, I am able to open the file back into Story line with no issues.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

4 Replies
Phil Mayor

Unfortunately the exported files do not include the source files you cannot open a published file inside of Storyline.

The storyline file is likely on your machine have you tried searching in Explorer? As it isn't in the recents list did you use a different machine?

You can use the assets from the sip file to rebuild the course.

Jose Tansengco

Hi Clark, 

Looks like Phil is on top of things!

Just to add to his response, you'll want to make sure that you're working locally when making changes to and publishing your project file. Working locally protects your file from possible file corruption, and it will also let you locate your project files much easier. 

You can also take a look inside your computer's temp folder to see if there is still a copy of your missing project file there. Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

Clark Ryan-Tang

Hi Phil and Joe.

I can confirm I am working on one laptop only.

I have searched the laptop for the title, but unfortunately there is no .story file or .tmp file :(

All fine, I will rebuild the course and then save it multiple ways before re-publishing so I can make edits afterwards if needed.

Thank you :)