Extending Storyline 360 with JS

Nov 08, 2017

Hello everybody,

while me and my colleagues really like Storyline 360 for what it is, we often come to a point where requirements exceed its capabilities. For instance, a lot of customers asked for more readable slide notes, stating the panel on the left was too narrow to comfortably read. I implemented a wider panel that users could put on top of the slide and resize to their needs. To do this I had to resort to what can only be called hacking the DOM. Over time I wrote multiple of these hacks and now I'm always looking forward to updates because that means I can get them working again </sarcasm>.

As far as I'm aware Storyline's API currently consists of two functions, which is actually less than in SL2. I'd humbly ask that you (the developer) provide a better way for third party code to interact with Storyline that doesn't break every other update, like an event-listener mechanism etc.

I can understand if you don't want to support and maintain a function most users won't use or even notice, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a market for well written and maintained third-party extensions.

Kind regards,
Dominik

PS: I absolutely don't speak for my employer, I'm just a user.

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Thanks Dominik for sharing your feedback here. It's an interesting request for sure, and I know that the Storyline SDK that was available for Storyline 2 to allow for these custom player setups was not something created for Storyline 3 or Storyline 360. I don't know how often it was used, but there is a section of the ELH forums dedicated to it, and it's not particularly active. 

Our Product team is always interested in knowing more about what would help you author and create courses though. You can share your ideas with us right here. 😁 Also, here's a bit more information on how we manage the feature request process. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.