External GPU for SL360 Performance

May 12, 2023

I'm working with a number of large media files in SL360 which is impacting performance. For example, saving the SL file takes over an hour to complete (and I have a high-spec laptop).

Someone has suggested I get a an external GPU to improve performance. My thought was that SL360 would be using the CPU/RAM to do its stuff, so additional GPU power wouldn't help.

My question: has anyone used an external GPU to improve SL performance and can share their experience? Or can anyone shed any further light on whether this would help?

A few additional points:

• I can't host these media files externally and embed due to strict confidentiality
  • The media is MP4 and I haven't (yet) found a codec which will export to a smaller file size which will maintain the required quality - suggestions welcome
  • The SL360 file is approx 30GB
2 Replies
Matthias Lohr

I don't think that Storyline360 will take advantage of an external GPU. I doesnt use powerful hardware at all. I testet it on a 12600K CPU, 6800 XT 16GB GPU, 32GB RAM and a PCIE Gen4 NVME. It runs just as bad as it does on an 11 year old office PC with just the iGPU and 8GB of RAM.

For your MP4 Media, you can look into the AV1 codec or H265. But I'm not sure if Storyline supports those since they're modern.

Jürgen Schoenemeyer

>The SL360 file is approx 30GB
that works??? amazing

• storyline is a 32 bit application and cannot use the extra ram
  • exchange of large amounts of data between processes works via the tmp folder
  • so you need a fast (NVME) SSD

storyline only supports mp4 - no H265

if you use an incompaitible codec while import, storyline will block the import or compress to mp4

you should compress all videos to final data rate outsite storyline and deactivate Compression

• the filesize of the .story file will be smaller
  • the publish faster
  • the picture quality better
  • the video is compatible to chrome*

* the internal storyline video encoder has some problems