Mar 13, 2018
I am having trouble with fill-in-the-blank questions not accepting correct answers. "Answers are case sensitive" is not checked. There are no symbols involved in the answers. What's puzzling is that it's happening randomly. When a test is taken through our eLearning system SumTotal, sometimes the question accepts the answer as correct, other times it doesn't. It isn't always the same questions either. We are experiencing this issue over a bunch of tests we have recently rolled out using Articulate. I've tested it myself and had success with the correct answers but have also seen the issue first hand when trying again. I've checked answers in Articulate and made sure there are no extra spaces before or after the answer. I've also asked those who are proctoring the tests to make sure there were no spaces entered before or after the answer entered. Out of possible resolutions!