Flash player distribution ending January 2016

Nov 27, 2015

I've read today that Adobe will change its policy regarding Flash Player downloads in the coming weeks, and that you can only get the full version (distribution files) if you're a business customer starting in January '16.

Source: https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

This means private users will only be able to get Flash via a small installation file which will then download the rest of the data via internet for installation.

How will this affect Storyline outputs in SWF format? It needs to be said that the output that can be produced in SWF format is considerably better than HTML5. HTML5 often corrupts your designs and the output does not correspond to your slides.

Can I bundle my output with flash installation files in the future? Especially in case no internet access exists, so the users won't be able to use the internet installer. 

1 Reply
Steve VE

I believe this only applies to customer that are distributing the Flash Player plug-in on their own. Normally, users have to go to the Adobe site to get the plug-in but some enterprises are permitted to distribute it from their own servers.

It does not look like Adobe will be halting distribution to the general public from their own site.

This will not impact Storyline in any way. The plug-in is only used to view swf files in the browser, not create them. Clients will also be able to install the plug-in as they always have (by downloading it from Adobe).

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.