Gif picture problem in Storyline 360

Nov 15, 2018

Hello.

I meet a problem with gif pictures on Storyline 360.

In Storyline 360, I need to insert animated pictures with transparent background (eye blinking of the character) in Gif format. (given that swf format is not anymore supported in Storyline 360)

In storyline 1 and 2 I did it with a swf file.

Therefore I created an animated Gif from my .fla file.
My gif works properly.

When I import it in Storyline 360, it works but it has a lot of aliasing.
Especially when I resize it smaller.

I made some test in Storyline 1 and Storyline 2 and I have not this aliasing problem, it works great when I resize it smaller.

I also tested the gif in PowerPoint and no aliasing problem when I resize the picture smaller.

Therefore, I dare to think that this is a problem proper of Storyline 360.

To make it more meaningful, I attached the Story 360 file.

Slide 1: gif and png in original size without resizing (we can already see a slight aliasing on the gif)

Slide 2: gif and png reduced (we can see that the gif has a lot of aliasing)

I also attached the Storyline 2 file, we can observe that there is no difference (no aliasing) between the reduced gif and png.

This aliasing problem is very embarrassing for us, because we use this gif in all of our courses.

Can somebody can tell me how I can resolve this problem?

Thank you.

Best regards.

Nicolas.

23 Replies
Katie Riggio

Oh no, Nicolas! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and I'd love to help investigate this with you!

To start, I published the course to Web using the latest Storyline 360 and 2 updates:

I see some strange behavior that seems to match part of your description – yikes! I don't see anything in the file that would cause any of this to happen, so I'd like to get a second opinion from our Support Engineers.

I'm going to share your file the team, and they'll reach out to you via email soon with their findings. Keep an eye out for some next steps shortly, and I'll also follow along!

Joshua Crigger

Hi Nicolas,

Good news! We fixed the issue you reported where .gif images had degraded quality on transparent backgrounds.

Install the latest Storyline 360 update to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes. Here's how: https://community.articulate.com/articles/articulate-360-user-guide-how-to-install-launch-desktop-authoring-apps#update

If the problem happens again, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I'll be happy to help!

Vincent Scoma

Hi Andreja and Stephanie,

Happy to help here! 

When inserting the gif into Storyline 360, is the animation static when viewing the course from the slide view? If so, that is intended when inserting that file type. The gif animation will start when either viewing the slide from the preview view or publishing the course and viewing it in the intended output. 

If that doesn't line up with what you are seeing, please let us know

Lauren Connelly

Hi Kyle!

I'd like to share what you're noticing with our team! Do you have a sample project with a GIF that we can test on our end? If so, here's a private upload link!

If this is occurring in our most recent update, Storyline 360 Update 42 (Build 3.42.22691.0), then our team will log this as a possible regression. We'll need to take a look at the project first!

Thanks for updating us on what you see in Storyline 360!

Phil Cobley
Vincent Scoma

Hi Andreja and Stephanie,

Happy to help here! 

When inserting the gif into Storyline 360, is the animation static when viewing the course from the slide view? If so, that is intended when inserting that file type. The gif animation will start when either viewing the slide from the preview view or publishing the course and viewing it in the intended output. 

If that doesn't line up with what you are seeing, please let us know

Hey Vincent et al,

I'm afraid my animated GIFs are not playing at all in my storyline file, even though they run fine in external viewers.  They've been recorded at 30fps and are only short, but when I preview the storyline file they are just static images. 

I'm running v3.46.236.20.0 on Win10 Pro and never encountered this issue before.  Oddly, GIFs I added into this storyline file months back still animate fine, but the ones I'm now adding don't seem to at all (they have been recorded in exactly the same way using the same software)

Any thoughts?

Thank you! :)

Lauren Connelly

Hi Phil!

We are happy to help! This sounds specific to your project. Would you mind uploading your project to our Support Engineers to test the snag on our end? Here's a secure upload link! You'll hear from our team as soon as they receive it and after they've reviewed the project. We'll make sure to delete the project after troubleshooting!

Becca Levan

Hello Suvin, and thanks for following up!

I don’t see a report of the issue reappearing where the quality of animated pictures with a transparent background in GIF format degrades after import, so from here, I’d recommend connecting with one of our support engineers to take a look at your file and help troubleshoot!

Roxana Ionescu

Hello,

I have the same problem. It seems it continues to be an issue. I've loaded my .gif picture to Storyline content and when I either publish or/and preview the course, the image is static. 

Please, let me know if you have managed to solve this problem and if yes, what is the update package for Articulate with this bug fix? 

Thanks for the help :)

Jose Tansengco

Hello Roxana, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

I tried adding a test GIF file to a new project file and I can confirm that the image animated during both preview and publish. I've attached the GIF file that I used for testing so you can test if you will observe the same behavior on your end. 

If the behavior is specific to your GIF files, try recreating them o see if this helps. If all GIF files are not animating for you, try doing a repair of your Storyline 360 installation