H1-h6 headings to meet 508 compliance

May 23, 2019

Since Storyline 360 is 508 compliant, can you point me to instructions on how to set headings (h1-h6) so the text on slides can meet compliance requirements?

Thank you!

8 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi E,

You can check out our documentation here on adding Alternate Text.

I also recorded a brief gif showing how you can right click on the object as well:

It looks like your email signature came through when you replied via email. You can remove that if needed by clicking ‘Edit’ beneath your response. Here’s a quick Peek video if you need help.

David Sprouse CU

I've recently done a pretty thorough WCAG 2.0 A and AA review on Storyline 360 (SL) and found, like similar course dev tools from other vendors, SL lacks considerably in meeting the letter of the WCAG guidelines. I should qualify that the results are better than others I have tested.

The approach used by SL to address many of the WCAG guidelines  is to apply alt text to most content objects. 

In the case of headings (see 1.3.1, 2.4.6, 4.1.1), a reasonable work-around might be to force the alt text to state what the screen-reader user expects. For instance, for H1 headings set the alt text to read "heading level 1: [course_heading]" where course_heading is the actual heading text displayed on the slide. For H2 headings include "heading level 2:" in the alt tag, etc.

See an attached example of how my team is applying this.

Laurence Lewis

Adding alt text or an aria-label so screen readers announce the heading level does not fix the issue that screen reader users cannot use expected navigation functions, such as; jumping to heading using the 'H' key or skim reading. It also does not enable a screen reader user to view a list of heading, links, button etc.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi everyone,

I know this is an older conversation, but I wanted to share an update in case anyone stumbles upon this conversation in the future.

We just released another update for Articulate 360 and included a few new items you'll see in the release notes.

The items you'll be interested in is:

• New: Let learners with accessibility needs change the visual appearance of text in a published course to make it more readable. Learn more about accessible text.
  • New: Text publishes with the proper semantic formatting for headings, links, lists, and other elements so screen reader users can explore content easily.
  • New: Use text styles to make content easy to navigate with a screen reader. Accessible text styles allow learners with visual disabilities to identify headings, hyperlinks, blockquotes, and paragraphs on each slide so they understand its layout and context. Learners can also use screen reader shortcuts to jump directly to headings and links.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for Storyline 360. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.