HELP: Getting "project is invalid or corrupted" message in SL360

May 16, 2020

I created my entire project today (16-May). I saved locally and often, about every 5 minutes. I went back to reopen the file and it's saying it's invalid or corrupted. I've been working in SL360 all week and this is the only time I've had an issue. 

I did the "create a copy and reopen" trick, and it didn't work.

Also, I don't seem to have access to the AppData on my PC because it's a work computer.

6 Replies
Vincent Scoma

Hi Jasmine,

I am sorry to hear about this snag you are running into. Let's see if we can pinpoint what might be causing this to happen!

To start, to locate a backup version of the file, you will want to follow these steps: 

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

Here is a short video of this process as well: How to locate temporary files

In regards to why that message continues appearing, may I ask if you are working from a network drive? The reason I ask is that working on a network drive or an external USB drive can cause erratic behavior to occur, like file corruption. To avoid this, it is best to work from your local hard drive. This resource provides more details on this here: 

Please keep us updated and let us know if you have any questions! 

Jasmine Fly

Hello Vincent! 

Thank you for reaching out. I was unable to find the file in the folder that you mentioned. When it came to saving the files, I saved the .story file locally; however, some of the items within my course were saved on my external hard drive. 

I moved the files and started over. Same issue. However, I took a closer look at the video file I was using as the background. It was over 3600MB. I used Adobe Media Encoder to reduce the file size to 2.5MB and tried a 4th time. Everything is running smoothly! 

Lessons learned: always check the video file size. 

Thanks again for the help!

Jacek Kuczynski

This error is very common and very well known. You do nothing unusual and you get the "The project file could not be saved. Corrupted data". The temp file is corrupted too. It got corrupted from adding 2 lines of text, how difficult task this could be for Storyline. I'm getting more and more annoyed with this stupid bug from SL. When can you have a meeting to raise this MEGA IMPORTANT issue? It's as old as 8 years! I don't want to re-import, re-do, re-etc. I want this to work properly. How come the file can even get corrupted after a proper save? How? 
1. You save without any error
2. You open the file and want to save you get a message the file is corrupted. 
Please just answer how this is possible. I'm asking because I don't know any other software that behaves like that! 
Sorry for the amount of exclamation marks but when imperfection of the software wastes my time, I get annoyed, really. I don't have time for re-importing, re-doing, re-thinking, re-locating. 

Ren Gomez

Hi Jacek,

I'm sorry about the roadblocks you're hitting, and I see that you've reached out to our support team to get to the bottom of the issue.

It looks like you're working with my teammate, Phil, and he's in the middle of testing your file. He'll get back to you as soon as he's done! I appreciate your patience and time as we figure out what's causing this error to come up.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.