Help! Trying to create a digital microscope in Storyline 360

Sep 23, 2020

I'm fairly new to Articulate, and I've been tasked with creating a digital microscope in Storyline 360. My first task is to create a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the digital microscope (there are 12 steps). For my first attempt, I created the tutorial using layers (lots of layers). However, it wasn't very elegant, and the student couldn't stray from the current step. Now I'm trying to create the tutorial using state changes and a dial for the coarse adjustment knob (raises and lowers the stage that the slide sits on), the fine adjustment knob (fine tunes the focus) and the diaphragm (adjusts the light). A dial feature was posted here that would work perfectly, but I can't get it to work. In the attached file, slide one is the dial that was posted here (sorry, I don't remember who posted it so I can give them credit). In slide 2, I've started building states and layers, but I can't get the dial to work. What am I doing wrong? Also, I would appreciate any suggestions or pointers for the microscope as a whole. I am planning to build a branched scenario, with branch 1 being the step-by-step tutorial, and branch 2 being the Add/Change slide that lets you pick the slide specimen you want to view. 

2 Replies
S Wright

Update. I've got the dial working in that the rectangle moves. However, I cannot get the dial to move up when the dial is turned clockwise, and move down when the dial is turned counterclockwise. Any suggestions? There are 4 positions of the stage that I need to reflect.

I've attached a new file. Slide 1 is the dial that someone posted here. Slide 2 is my attempt at the tutorial via layers. Slide 3 is my current attempt to create the tutorial using state changes and a dial.

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Walt Hamilton

I cannot get the dial to move up when the dial is turned clockwise, and move down when the dial is turned counterclockwise.

Exchange the < and > in the triggers.

The dial has to be on slide 3 if you want to use it on slide 3. The triggers act when the the dial variable changes, but only the slide where the dial is can hear the variable change.

However, it wasn't very elegant, and the student couldn't stray from the current step.

I would create layers that didn't hide each other. That way, when the light is clicked, the light layer stays on until it was turned off; if the objective is changed, it stays there until changed, etc.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.