Hover functionality only briefly flickers a layer if browser zoom is not set on 100%

Mar 27, 2018

Hi Folks - We've discovered an issue viewing one of our modules.  Normally, when we hover on a button, etc. to trigger the display of a layer, everything works as planned.  On the other hand, if the browser window is not set to the standard 100% zoom, the hover feature will not work correctly.  Actually, the layers only flash up for a split second before disappearing.  Resetting the zoom level to 100% seems to fix this as far as we can tell.  Any ideas what might be happening or how to prevent this from happening? (Player setting, etc.?)

Thanks for your help!

Ashley

7 Replies
Walt Hamilton

First guess is that there is an object on the layer. Changing the zoom percent moves that object so that it is under the hovering mouse. When that happens, the original object loses contact with the mouse, and the "Reset on Mouse Leave" kicks in.

Depending on how much stuff in on the layer, you might be able to put it into a hover state on the object.

Ashley Green

Walt, thanks for your answer - and appreciate your help.  As far as I can tell, however, there are no intervening hotspots or objects on the layers that might cause a lack of contact with the base layer hotspot.  Sometimes the behavior is hard to reproduce too, but making the zoom on the browser window larger than 100% (could be 125 or 150 or more before the behavior occurs) or toggling the browser window from full-screen fixed to floating can trigger it.  Funnier still, sometimes entering the hotspot with the mouse from one side causes the behavior, but entering it from another side does not!  At any rate, thanks for considering this problem for us!

Walt Hamilton

I don't have any ideas yet, but I can reproduce it consistently in Firefox. I shrink the browser window enough to get scroll bars, or even just one. If I scroll to the top, or left, it works. If I scroll down, or to the right, I get the behavior you describe. If I scroll down, and move on to the top of the graphic very slowly, for about the first five or ten pixels, the layer stays visible, but from any other side, only one or two pixels. Scrolling up or left, or sizing the window enough to lose the scroll bars, and all is well. I even ungrouped it, and removed the hotspots, but no change.

I cannot see this as anything except a bug.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi there, other Ashley! 👋🏻

Walt's right - and we've got this filed as a bug too! Although in our reports it wasn't specific to Firefox. As you mentioned, if you're viewing it at 100% zoom it should work normally so I hope you can use that in the meantime! 

I'll let you know here once we have any other information on this, so I appreciate you reaching out! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.