How best to handle large video files in Storyline (up to 185 MB)

Mar 05, 2014

I need to post a training video on the LMS.  The video file is 185MB - huge!  I received the DVD in two mp4 segments:  1) multiple sections  (smaller files) and 2) single mp4 file.

My dilemma:  decide how to carve up, if indeed I should, the file to make it easier to package in Storyline; or is it feasible to package such a large video in Storyline?  One file?  Add all sections to one package? 

I've never worked with such a large file in Storyline - usually we load this up on a server, but mngt wants it uploaded to the LMS.

I could use the community's expertise on this, please.  Suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance - BJ

1 Reply
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Barbara and welcome to Heroes! 

I would likely split it up into smaller videos, if only to provide an opportunity for a pause or break from the video. Storyline will progressively stream the content as described here, but I still would think smaller chunks may be easier for you to work with.  Also, there are some cases where you may have an MP4 file that is not properly formatted.  As a result, users may experience a long delay while the entire video downloads.  If you have an MP4 file that is exhibiting this behavior, you may be able to correct it by using the method described here.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.