How to get Textbox to auto focus on screen entry in Storyline 360

Mar 21, 2017

I know there are a lot of comments on this, and I've been able to get this to work in Storyline2, but I can't get the same methods to work in Storyline 360.

Basically, on the previous slide, I have it setup so you click a button that advances to the next screen, and on the next screen I want the cursor to be active in a text entry box (in a different location than the button being clicked).

I've tried Converting to Freeform Text Entry, and I've also tried inserting a data entry text box.

In both instances, I placed the text entry box on another layer, and I add a trigger saying to show this layer when the timeline starts. 

This used to work in Storyline2 and it would autofocus the text entry box. Am I doing something wrong, or forgetting a step?

23 Replies
Lisa Spirko

Many thanks to Seth Merriam for the accessibility comment. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. It seems that I've got this working for a crossword puzzle using the accessibility and tab order options. The clues are text in shape objects on the base slide that, when clicked, display a layer containing a text entry field and submit button for that clue. I'm not aiming for true accessibility compliance with this course, so I'm using tab order only for cursor focus. There are other objects on the base and layers that I'm leaving out of tab order. The tab order lists a clue, followed by its text entry box, and the submit button, and then the next clue, and so on. at the end is the "Done!" button. So far, it seems to be working well. Even if you click the clue with the mouse instead of tabbing to it and pressing Enter, the text entry is in focus when the layer displays. Thanks again, Seth!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.