Images missing when previewing and publishing.

Hello 

i'm working on an Articulate Stoyline file, and have been for about a month. Suddenly, today some of my images are not being published.

When I view the slide in question in story view i can see the images, and when i go into slide view i can see the images as well. I can edit them, move them around, change their layer in the timeline, add triggers etc. As far as i can tell, they are 100% in the project and have no problems....However, When i publish or preview, they disappear (but some other elements of the page are still visible). The "disappearing" images have hotspots over them which take me to other pages. The hotspots still work when published or previewed... I can still click them and they respond appropriately, but i have to basically  "guess" where the hotspots are, since the images they correspond with are missing. 


What the heck is happening here?  

7 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sarah. Welcome to the community!

If the images look good within the project, but not when previewing or publishing, I'm wondering if it may be an issue with the file itself, its location or possibly rendering issues.

First, please make sure that you're working with local project and image files.

  • Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

If the images still aren't showing up, please create a new, blank Storyline project. Try using the same images in the new project. Does the same thing happen?

Thanks and welcome again!

Sarah MacDonald

I didn't create a new document... but i tried re-importing the images. The first time, only one (of two) of them worked. The second timei tried, both of them worked out fine. 
I am working locally, the file names are short with no special characters other than "-", and the paths should be as well (its on my desktop). I am however, working in Parallells. Does that cause known issues?  

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sarah!

Any characters other than normal text characters (a through z) can cause some issues. I would try avoiding underscores, dashes, spaces, etc., if possible. Are those dashes you mentioned also in the image file names or paths? 

I'm glad to hear that importing them into the project again. If the problem continues and you've changed the names, though, I'd still suggest testing in a new course or even importing the entire original course into a new file. You can do this using the import feature and it's pretty quick. 

Here's how:

Importing from Another Storyline Project

As for the Parallels question, no, there shouldn't be. It sounds like you're working with everything on the Windows side, which is the right way to do this. 

If the issue continues, even in a new file and the images are still displaying on the slide, it may actually be that rendering issue I referred to earlier. On your Windows side, try to make sure you're running the correct DPI. 

Storyline doesn't currently support 120 DPI. If your system is set to 120 DPI, you may experience erratic behavior, such as:

*  Elements of the application are misplaced or distorted.

*  Objects are misplaced or distorted when previewed or published.

*  Zoomed images don't work as expected.

*  Font sizes are incorrect after using the translation features.

Here's how you can switch to 96 DPI

Thanks again, Sarah! :)