Importing variables into Storyline 360

Aug 30, 2022

I created a template for an e-learning module that includes a large number of variables.  The basic function of the module is that it asks some questions, compiles the answers together, and then recommends training based on the answers.  The template works great, but somebody on my team has to manually modify the variables for the various departments every time a question or training offering needs to be updated.  I would like to find a process where non-Storyline users could update the questions and variables.  Is it possible to use the output of something like MS PowerAutomate and import those results into Storyline automatically?   

2 Replies
Kelly Auner

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for reaching out!

I love the idea of a module that recommends training based on how the learner answers the question. Currently, you must have the original .story file to edit the course. I understand this can be time-consuming for someone to update the questions and variables each time the course must be changed.

One idea is to save a tailored version of the course for each department. Ideally, this will limit the number of times the course must be updated. I also wanted to share this thread about importing and retaining variables that may be helpful to you.  

I hope this helps. Let's see if others in the community have some insight on this!

Math Notermans

2 things come to mind. 

As a .story is nothing more then a zipped folder with a lot of data and files in it. You can change the extension to .zip, unzip the complete package and edit parts of the content with any tool wanted. Zipping it back up and changing the .zip to .story and you have your working Storyline file again. Problem is though that Storyline is picky and its easy to make an error and then it wont work. I am gonna try it with a sample with some variables to see if i can find and change them within the unzipped folder. As this works, you could use any macro tool or scripted workflow to get things changed. 

Second possibility is using Javascript to read in values for your variables. As i donot know the exact setup of your project, this i cannot test. Here you see for example a post about global variables and how to get that working.
https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/global-scope-for-javascript-variables-in-storyline

I did test the first option, and although i find the default Storyline variables as Slide.id etc. in the folder, i cannot find any trace of the custom variables i made as test. Probably those are encoded heavily and not to be found. So that option fails.