iPad Formatting in SL360

Nov 11, 2016

Ok, so we have these great preview features for tablet and telephone formatting. But what if we want to keep the original formatting (i.e. standard SL menu on the left) in tablet presentations? Possible??

7 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Russ,

If you're using Storyline 360 you'll see it displayed in the new responsive player if you're using HTML5 output only, although you still can view the content in the mobile player which would have the same set up as in previous version of the mobile player. You may want to take a look at the new/updated comparison chart here. 

Russell Still

I think that probably limits creativity quit a bit. Not just do you lose the "old" style formatting (which some might still prefer), but this really puts the stops on running SL360 presentations in an iFrame on an iPad.

The mobile player works great, but I had to abandon it early on since customers were too confused and couldn't understand why they had to download someone else's app to run my company's content. I get it, and it works really well, but it does cause quite a bit of confusion among less computer-savvy people.

Russell Still

The new "responsive" output is really nice. Don't misunderstand my comment. It's just that if we have no other option BUT the responsive output, it severely limits users' ability to do something you hadn't thought of (such as  iFraming). The responsive stuff really needs to be an option that can be turned off.

Russell Still

Another example. I have introductory lessons that discuss how subsequent lessons work. They point at the menu on the left and explain how to navigate using it. They point at the player buttons along the bottom and explain their use. Now we have a major problem... Such explanations work as expected on a laptop, but as soon as someone opens it up on a tablet, all the preprogrammed explanations are completely bogus.

Russell Still

Hi, Wendy. Yes, I understand it's not one size fits all. But not even allowing developers the option (i.e. forcing them to only use the new "responsive" format) is a big problem. Honestly, it appears to be a very big oversight and providing an option for mobile output with the same look as non-mobile output should have been obvious.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Russ,

I can certainly see how that type of set up would be problematic, and it's feedback that I can share with our team. It is something that I imagine it gets a bit tricky to have "turned off" as then when users do look at utilizing it on a smaller device such as a phone, they may have difficulty with accessing the navigation elements. But again, different needs for different users - so I can see it both ways. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.