Issues with video in 360

Sep 07, 2018

Is anybody having the same difficulties with video? I'm experiencing the following:

I've inserted a video (MP4) on the first slide. This contains a short intro. This intro should play on the slide automatically and advance via a transition to the next slide automatically as well. After setting everything up I've tested it with the preview. All is well. After publishing it to Articulate Review (online) The video does not work properly anymore. It doesn't start automatically, it shows a big black screen (even bigger than my story size) with a play button (i don't want). It shows a title that I don't want.   Below you'll find two screenshots to see what I mean. I hope someone can help me out here. Because I might be doing something wrong. 

Kind regards, 

Harold Lentink

14 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hey, Harold. Happy to help!

What browser(s) are you viewing the course in? A few browsers such as Safari and Chrome began blocking the autoplay of media files. So if there's a video on the first slide, a gray Play button like the one you're seeing may appear. More information on that here!

If you need to have video on the first slide, Alyssa shared a handy trick here on how to hide that button. Let me know if that could be an option for you!

Additionally, if you're able to share the Review URL with us–we'd be happy to give it a test and confirm the behavior!

Harold Lentink

Katie and Bob, 

Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen it yet. I already thought of your solution, but was hoping to fix it instead of creating a workaround. But I guess it leaves me no choice the to do it as you both suggested. I hope that there will be a solution in the near future. 

Kind regards, 

Harold Lentink

Harold Lentink

I've been testing it as you both suggested and still have issues. On the first slide I've placed a PNG of the first frame of my MP4, made the timeline as short as possible and set it to jump to next scene when timeline ends. On the second slide I've placed the video and when timeline ends it jumps to the third slide with an transition. 

Now exported it to review 360 and to scormcloud. On both platforms the scorm is unreliable. Sometimes it plays properly but most of the times (especially after revisiting is refreshing) when arriving the second slide it shows the first frame of the video but does not start to play. The seekbar however does run and at the end of the timeline it starts the transition and proceeds as normal. Very weird. This occurs on my laptop as on the laptop from my colleague as well. Any suggestions? O and by the way the video is a 8sec. Intro of 500KB so filesize can't be the issue. 

Broderick Lemke

Isn't that sort of the point of the play button being there? The browsers are preventing content from Auto-playing, so Articulate added the play button as a fix so that content isn't auto-played and rather, is user-started. I wonder if the issue is because you're trying to bypass that fix and now the content won't autoplay because of browser settings. A reason that it may sometimes work and sometimes not is that Chrome sometimes allows auto-play once you're visited a site enough times and interacted with it. That way if you're testing on multiple machines it might be familiar with the site and allow autoplaying on one but not the other. At least, that's my understanding of the issue.

Harold Lentink

Broderick, 

thanks for your response. But I don't know if this is the case. Meaning, I've first tried uploading the scorm to Articulate review like a dozen times. On the same PC with the same settings. I've used Review quite a lot so chrome is more then familiar with me as a user :) 

Internet Explorer on the other hand, works far more as expected in this case. The issue does not seem to occur there. 

The reason why I don't want the play button is because:

A: the user has to do one more click before the lesson start, while in the LMS he/she already clicked on a "launch" button. 

B: It also this intro video should add to the user experience and should present the video automatically. 

But I do appreciate your point of view in this. And will take in into consideration. 

Kind regards, 

Harold Lentink

Crystal Horn

Hi Harold!  Thanks for updating us on the changes you made.  Bob's suggestion did work initially, but we encountered an issue with that setup in an earlier release.  Video set to play automatically in a slide won't play if the previous slide automatically advances.

I know your learners' experience is important to you, and you don't want them to have to click more times than necessary, especially once they've launched from the LMS.  I'll add this discussion to our notes for this bug so we can keep you updated!  

To note, this is happening only in Chrome, currently.

Harold Lentink

I surely hope that there will be solution on a short notice. For now we have choosen to leave our intro out of the scorms. This because of the autoplay issues caused bij Chrom (MEI). Apparently Articulate is not in the position at the moment to solve this issue. And since we are on deadline to deliver courses we leave them out for know. But we surely would like to know when anything news is to be told on this matter. 

Regards, 

Harold Lentink

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Harold,

A quick update: We've now created a tool that lets you mass update existing courses without republishing them. Currently, the updater works on Storyline 360, Storyline 3, and Studio 360 courses. See this article for details!

And soon, the updater will also work on Storyline 2 and Studio '13 courses. Stay tuned! We'll post a comment in this forum thread when Storyline 2 and Studio '13 support is ready.

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience while our team investigated this issue. We've determined that videos not autoplaying on any slide without a previous user interaction is the expected behavior in Chrome and Safari based on their changes to media autoplay policies. 

This article is updated to reflect that and some ideas shared there to work around this browser limitation. 

Hi Harold,

That article has been updated with the following: 

Videos on Other Slides

Videos on other slides in your course should play as expected. However, if your slides are set to advance automatically without any interaction, videos might not work since learners haven't given their browsers permission to play them.

To make sure videos play correctly throughout your course, set the slide that comes before each video to advance only when learners click a button or interact with it in some way. For example, if you have a video on slide 2, set slide 1 to advance when learners click the "next" button or another button on the slide.

If a video is on a layer in Storyline, don't display the layer automatically. Ask learners to click a button or interact with another object on the slide before showing the layer, then the video will play as expected.

It seems unlikely that browsers will reverse their position on autoplay of media, but if they do we'll keep folks posted here. After a while, learners may stop seeing the play button as Chrome's Media Engagement Index (MEI) learns that they allowed audio to play on previous visits to the same site. When that happens, audio will automatically play as it did in earlier versions of Chrome.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.