Linking to PDF

Jun 25, 2013

Hi, I am new to storyline and I am wanting to create a user guide to a legal document.  The idea is that I somehow upload the document in PDF form to Storyline and then, using a menu page, link to various pages of the document.  Is this possible?  If so, how can I do it?

Ultimately the idea is to allow people to view a 'user friendly' index to a technical document and be able to simply click and link to various clauses in that document.

Any assistance would be great as I am a bit of a novice

10 Replies
Steven Haigh

Hi Michael,  that is exactly what I wanted to do (although it does seem to link to the same page).  I hear where you are comming from with regard to adding the menu to the PDF, but the PDF link is one of possibly many links that would be on that page.

Please can you let me know how to link it specifically to a set page?  Also, is the documents uploaded to Articulate, or do you need to simply store this elsewhere?

Thanks for your assistance

Michael Hinze

Steven, not sure what you mean by 'it does seem to link to the same page'. My test pdf had four pages and clicking a button at the top should display the corresponding page. You can link to a specific page, as I had shown in the sample URL ('http://www.example.com/myfile.pdf#page=4',would link to page 4 of  myfile.pdf on the domain example.com). My sample file and test pdf were uploaded to my personal site, you can place yours anywhere and link to it.

Steven Haigh

Michael, I mean to say that is linked to page 1 despite clicking on all of the links.  I have some PDF Editing software on my system which seems to cause all sorts of problems with links etc.  I have now tried it on a different system and it works perfectly.

You have answered answered exactly what I wanted and probably safed me several hours of frustration, thank you very much.

Mike Enders

Katie,

In my case, the PDFs were simply on my local machine.

If you are handing over your production (.story, PDFs, etc.) files to the client, so that they can publish then yes, the links to the PDF would break.

You'd have to either....

1. Establish a similar folder structure on your and your client's machine. For example, you both create and work from C:/KatieProject.

Or

2. The Client opens up Storyline and reestablishes the links to the PDFs on their local machine

Or

3. You place the PDFs on , say, your client's web server and then hyperlink to the PDF URL. This has the added advantage of being able to switch out the PDFs in the future.

I hope this makes sense!

Mike

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.