LMS score 0/100

Jun 04, 2014

I have uploaded a few modules created in Storyline to CrossKnowledge LMS. Some of the modules are showing 0/100 after viewing page 1 onwards, and others are not showing anything. Even if you complete the module, it will show 0/100.

We do not want any score to be captured at all.

None of the modules have quiz slides and tracking is by number of slides viewed.

Any ideas what may be triggering some modules to provide 0/100 and others to provide no score?

Thanks.

lilian

23 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Iilian,

For most any LMS-related issue, this blog post is the place to begin.  You also want to be certain that you are packaging your published content properly for your LMS.  Also, be certain that you have contacted the Support Team for your LMS, since they are best-equipped to tell you what might be causing the issue.

If you wind up empty-handed after reviewing the links above, I would next recommend comparing the performance of your content at SCORM Cloud.  If you cannot reproduce the problem there, this is likely an LMS-specific issue, and you will want to generate debug logs and supply them to your LMS Provider for additional troubleshooting. From what you described, it may be specific to how the scoring is displayed in the LMS itself. 

If, on the other hand, you test outside of your LMS and see the same thing in SCORM Cloud, please share one of the project files here (.story) that's displaying the 0/100 scoring so we can take a look and see what's happening. 

Best,

Christine

lilian soon

Hi Christine, we have done some thorough testing and debugging on Scorm Cloud and would like to send you some files to look at. Where can I send the file to? Would prefer not to upload here, although I attach a Word doc with the debug log screen shots showing our issue. Would really appreciate some insight as we have quite a few modules showing these behaviours and we have no sensible way of making any changes to affect the behaviour.

Thanks. lilian

Christine Hendrickson

Hi lilian,

Certainly. If you'd like to share your project files privately, you can do so through the support case form. Any content shared with us through that form will remain confidential.

By default, the case will be assigned to our support engineers. If you would like me to personally take a look, just add ::christine:: to the case description. Please be sure to share the case number here as well, so we can share any information we find with the community - just in case others run into something similar. 

Best,

Christine

lilian soon

I have tried almost everything in my non-techie capacity and I cannot solve this. When I upload the module to Scorm Cloud, I can see the following in the debug log when a 0/100 is registered:

• Activity Objective #1
  • Id:
  • Measure Status: true
  • Normalized Measure: 0
  • Progress Measure: false
  • Satisfied Status: false

If a 0/100 is not registered, then I get

• Activity Objective #1
  • Id:
  • Measure Status: false
  • Normalized Measure: unknown
  • Progress Measure: true
  • Satisfied Status: true

The same object can produce both and I cannot always replicate the issue. Seems totally random. Is there a way to guarantee the Measure Status is false in a learning object?

So long as I use the Exit Course trigger via the player, or on the page, I cannot guarantee that I won't get a 0/100. I have to close using the browser tab close or browser window close to guarantee that a 0/100 isn't registered. Can anyone help with this?

lilian soon

Can anyone else help me with this issue? Is there a way of editing a published Storyline file to ensure that measure status is false? The bug is not easy to reproduce but has affect 10% of users on a random number of modules. For one person, module 1 gives them a 0/100. For another person, module 5 gives them a 0/100. For the majority of users, no score is sent to the LMS which is the behaviour I want.

Tracking by number of slides viewed, and no quiz slides are in the modules so there should not be a score setting anywhere in the modules, and yet a 0/100 is being sent to the LMS randomly.

We have been able to replicate this on Scorm Cloud as well, so it's not just the LMS. 

Any experts in manipulating the output from Storyline that can help us to fix this, please do get in touch! Thanks. 

lilian

Brian Allen

lilian soon said:

Hi Brian

1. Scorm 1.2

2. completion on slide views

3. completed/incomplete

Which is why the scoring is such a mystery. Would you happen to know if it's possible to edit any part of a published file to force it to not send scoring? Thanks.

Agreed, that is indeed quite the mystery...  There used to be a "masteryscore" entry on the imsmanifest that would mess our LMS up, similar to this, but I think that's been fixed for a while.  When I publish for slide-based completion I don't even see mention of masteryscore in the manifest (which is the right way to do it, according to the SCORM standard).

Sorry I'm not much help, but it sounds like you're doing everything right...

lilian soon

Hi Ashley, I have an open case  #00405435 on this, and yes, my team and I have already spent about 10 days trying to get this sorted. We can replicate this issue on Scorm Cloud too. Debug logs etc are with your team but I don't seem to be getting a reply on this case so would appreciate any push you can give to help me

Thanks, Brian. It was worth a shot. 

regards

Lilian

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lilian,

Thanks for sharing the case number. I've reached out to Jonathan who was assigned to your case to see if we can get a status update as I see some notes in the case in regards to the testing being done. I'll continue to follow along so that I can follow up with you here in addition to Jonathan working through the case with you. 

Hi Lilian,

I just wanted to follow up as I've been checking in on your case and I see that Jonathan was able to replicate the issue and has reported it to our QA team for additional review.  He shared that as a workaround, you can remove the custom exit button from the course and force learners to close the browser window manually for the mean time. 

If there is additional information to share in regards to this issue, Jonathan will be in touch via the case email. 

lilian soon

Hi Ashley, I discovered this as a possible solution weeks ago and was happy that it would solve it. But to my horror, after launching live with hundreds of customers around the world, we can see the random generation of a score on random modules. Affected about 10% of people. So the modules do not have an exit button and the users are using the browser close button. We'll see what Jonathan and the techs figure out! Fingers crossed

Hi Daphne,

This thread is a bit older and as you can see we haven't heard from Lilian since then, and in her work with our Support engineers it was determined to be something specific to her set up that we could replicate,  nor could she outside a small subset of users (and not consistently there). Could you share a bit more about what LMS you're using, browsers that users are viewing it in, etc.? You may also want to look at testing your content by uploading to SCORM Cloud which is an industry standard for testing LMS content. 

daphné morel

I am using CrossKnowledge LMS (EPISTEMA lms) as Lilian. I have tested the module in scrom cloud and i have "unknown" for the score which is normal as the report status to LMS is completed/incompleted - i have no resutlat slide and the tracking is using the number of slides viewed (scorm 1.2). but in the Crossknowledge LMS i get scores. i can't know which browsers are used. I do not have any exit button in the module. and like Lilian it happen for 10% of the learners.

Hi Lilian,

If your course is behaving as expected in SCORM Cloud, that is an industry standard for LMS testing and therefore I'd have to defer to your LMS team for additional assistance. Perhaps they require a different publishing setting or are always going to include a score? Can you change the reporting set up within the LMS to not show the user the scores or allow them to pull reports? 

Lindsey Ball

Hi there,

Any update on this? I am having the same issue and am able to replicate it in SCORM Cloud. With our customer base, having this happen to 10% of users is NOT acceptable. I have a course with four units (plus an introduction unit). The opening units are complete/incomplete, and everything except the last unit are reporting on slides viewed. The last unit has a final exam, and the score is reported on that. But users are randomnly being assigned a score of 0 on random units, cutting the average score in half. Please help, as this seems to be a Storyline bug (because replication is happening in SCORM Cloud).

Hi Lindsey,

If you're able to replicate it in SCORM Cloud, but it's still only happening for 10% of users were you able to determine what elements caused it? A particular browser or going through the course in a particular way? Are you able to share a copy of your .story file and a link to the course with our Support Engineers? 

Hi all,

Just wanted to give you an update here, that our team fixed an issue where an Exit course trigger will send a score of 0% to a learning management system (LMS) when you're tracking the course by the number of slides viewed. (A score should only be sent to the LMS when you're tracking a quiz.)

We fixed this issue in Update 10 for Storyline 2. Install the latest version of Storyline 2 to take advantage of the new features and fixes, then republish your course.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.