Lost .story file

Apr 18, 2019

I recently had a colleague email me a .story file. I opened it, edited it, saved it, and then published it into review 360. 

I now need to make new edits to the file but it is not on my computer anywhere. I checked the original save root in my temporary internet files and I can find the original unedited version but not my newly edited version.

Is there a way to retrieve the file from Review for editing?

Or does anyone know how to find my lost .story file?

Please help!

Cheers,

9 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Melanie and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Phil is correct, but there may still be a working version of your project in your temp files. Here's how to check: 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

Kristin Warehime

This is EXACTLY what happened to me today! Colleague emailed the SL file, I clicked "make it editable," renamed and saved to desktop, edited, published to  Review, saved MULTIPLE times and today the entire file is missing. SL doesn't even recognize the renamed file in Recent Documents. I had IT look through my folders--nothing. Any ideas where it might have gone???

Katie Riggio

Yikes! I'm so sorry that happened, Kristin.

I'd love to try to help you find it. A few clarifying questions to begin:

• Do you still have access to the email from your colleague? If yes, could you go through the steps once more and let me know if the file disappears this time?
  • Does the file appear after setting a search for *.story in Windows Explorer?
Kristin Warehime

I did have the email, so I was able to go back and redo all my changes. I made doubly and triply  sure that I could close and open and shut down and reopen before proceeding.  It was probably user error--I probably did something wrong with the initial file, but I know for certain I spent a day and a half editing it and saved it in between (using "save") and that SL had no memory of it.  Not even the original file showed up in "recents." Thankfully I had the course in Review so I could see all my edits.

Lauren Connelly

Hello Kristin!

Thank you for sharing these details! I'm sorry you're running into this issue with your .story file. First, can you check if you have the Auto-Recovery option set? Here's how to customize this in Storyline 360.

Secondly, we'll want our Support Engineers to step in and offer their expertise. Please use this link to connect with a Support Engineer.