.mp4 files. Arrrggg. Not playing

Can't get .mp4 vids to play in Storyline. Much has been said about MIME types on the server, but we have some users who can get the video to play, while others cannot. Flash players are all up to date. Everyone has the same access to the server. All videos were recorded using Storyline.

One strange thing I'd like to offer. I ran Chrome's developer tools see what messages the browser offers through the console. See attached. Not found? Paths are correct. File name is correct. It's standard output from Storyline. Is this related to MIME?

Storyline 2
IE, FF, Chrome
Windows7

5 Replies
Ali Goulet

Hi Mike- Thanks so much for reaching out here, I can certainly understand the frustration! What environment are you publishing for and how are you viewing the published output? You mentioned a server so I just wanted to verify- are you seeing this issue after using the option to Publish for Web and then uploading to web server? If so, it does sound like it could be related to MIME settings. I would recommend first following the advice in this article. Let me know if you continue to encounter this after going through that article. Thanks! 

Mike F

Hey Ali. 

Here's what's happening. Recording a video inside SL. Publishing locally for the web (not using HTML5 options). Testing locally, the video plays without issue. Upload/copy to an internal corp. network drive (address in attached image). Launching from the network drive, the video does not play. 

Results from testing it on the server
Launch the course, the video does not play.
Now, with that being said, it does play for some people, but not all. 
If I drill down into the content folder and launch the file, it opens and plays fine in WMV.

Specs
Win7 Pro
SL2 Update 7:1509.1408

I will check the recommended article in the meantime.

Thanks again!

Ali Goulet

Hi Mike- Thanks for the additional details here! I don't see an attachment in your reply, however. If you attached it via email, it won't carry over to the thread but you're welcome to pop in here and attach it in a comment.

If you view an Articulate Storyline course on your local hard drive (or send it to someone else to view on their local hard drive), you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features of your content to fail. To properly test your published content and share it with others, you'll want to make sure to always upload it to the environment for which it was published. Even though you were able to see them locally, this is most likely the reason you were seeing issues launching it from the network drive.

However, since you mentioned the issue still happens after uploading the published output into your web server, that requires a little more investigating. I would first recommend updating your software to the latest version, update 10 and republishing your course. If you're still seeing this issue after updating, let me know how you make out following the advice in that article I shared previously.

You may also want to try testing your zipped output in tempshare, as well, to see if the issue is happening in any web environment. Keep me posted! 

Mike F

Thanks Ali. Great info.

The attachment i was referring to is attached to the post (NotFound.png). Let me go back and investigate some more. We've never had a problem in the past, so this could be something with our own system/IT dept.

The updates thing is an issue also. Most of us do not have local admin rights which causes upgrading/updating issues.  

I will take all that you've recommended and post back with what I find.

Thanks again!