Pick many help!

Nov 24, 2019

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I have. I am creating an activity where students need to select the pain location on the torso for a particular condition. Some of the answers have 1 location and others have a few. I want students to be able to click anywhere on the body until they find the correct locations which will appear once the area is clicked. I had been using hotspots to fill the rest of the torso but it doesn't register them as being clicked and will say that the activity isn't attempted which means students won't get to the answer page or be able to move on. I changed one to a shape which works but if I click in that area then (which has no highlighting) then when I click the correct answer it still says I'm wrong. I pretty much want them to be able to click all over the screen until they find the spots and only be incorrect if they haven't found them all.  I hope that makes sense.

I've attached the file as it is at the moment.

5 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Michelle,

If you use hotspots, you can create a Hotspot question; however, you will only be able to select one correct answer, which doesn't meet your requirements.

If you use shapes, you can use a Pick Many question, which will enable you to select as many correct areas as you require. However, if any incorrect areas are selected, you will always get a wrong answer even if all the correct ones are also selected.

In the attached example, I have set the correct area to show as a green glow and all incorrect ones to show red. If you select the correct area and some of the incorrect areas, provided you then deselect the incorrect ones (click on them a second time) before clicking Check, you will get a Correct answer.

This system would work well if you are trying to teach your students the correct answers as they will realise where they are going wrong as they go along, but if you are trying to test them on their knowledge, you need to let them select their answers (with no colour coding to help them) and then click Check to see how they have done.

Hope this helps.

Ned Whiteley

Hi Michelle,

In the attached example, I have added a variable, Q1Fail, which starts as zero and has one added to it every time an incorrect answer is recorded. Once the Incorrect layer has been displayed and the Continue button is clicked, the user is returned to the question slide if Q1Fail is equal to 1 or jumped to the next slide if Q1Fail is not equal to one. This gives the user a second shot at the question.

Note that there is no requirement to close the layer when you are jumping to another slide and so I have removed the two triggers on the Correct and Incorrect layers. Also note that I have jumped to the question slide and set its properties to Reset to Initial State on Revisiting so that the question completely resets for the second attempt:

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.