Play Pause Keyboard Shortcuts on 360 Player?

Oct 21, 2019

I have created an e-learning package with audio on each slide which starts with the start of the timeline. I have added keyboard controls for navigation to each slide but have now been asked, by a severely visually-impaired learner, to add a pause/play keyboard shortcut for the audio.

I notice that there is a pause/play icon on the player that can be clicked with a mouse, but I can't find an associated keyboard shortcut in Storyline 360 that I can enable. 

I don't want to have to add a variable and two triggers to every slide if I can help it because there are so many slides.

6 Replies
Chris Copley

Hi Lauren

Unfortunately not as the learners I am thinking of are blind and wouldn't be able to see when focus moves. I've managed to sort out the rest of the package so that it's fully accessible without vision at all - and can actually be used with the monitor off, but they've asked for the pause function to be added.

I can add a trigger to play/pause specific media on each slide but it would be so much easier if I could just assign a keyboard shortcut to the player control. I understand this is possible in other Articulate software  - I've seen an article about for Articulate Presenter, for example - but it doesn't look like it's going to be possible in Storyline. Ah well, I'd better start editing the slides again lol.

Ren Gomez

Hi Chris,

You're correct, this isn't a feature in Storyline, but I'll be sure to add your voice to the request we currently have on making this possible.

I'm sorry this takes extra work for you. We're pushing to ease the burden on developers and wanted to point you to this conversation in case you haven't seen it!

Ren Gomez
Hi Everyone,

Great news!  We just released another update for Storyline 360 and included a few important fixes and new features you'll see in the release notes here.  

The item you'll be interested in is how we added more keyboard shortcuts for learners, including play/pause, previous, next, and submit. Plus, learners can now use the ESC key to close the shortcuts screen.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.