Preview not working

Mar 13, 2024

Hello

I was working on a project yesterday and everything was working just fine. I was only changing colors/layout, nothing major. I saved the project and closed storyline for the night. Today when I opened it, nothing shows up on the preview: preview entire project, preview just this slide or publish to web. I coped my first slide to a new project to see if it was just that file but the issue is continuing in the new file.

All I see when I hit preview is the purple background, no images or buttons. I have attached the slide here. Should I uninstall then reinstall? Or is there something wrong that I am missing?

3 Replies
Steven Benassi

Hi J C!

Sorry to hear that elements from your slide are missing when previewed or published. Happy to help with this!

Testing your file on my end, I was unable to reproduce the same behavior. While previewing the entire project, just the slide itself, and after published to Review 360, all buttons and images displayed as expected. So yes, I would suggest performing a repair of your Storyline 360 installation to see if that improves the issue. Also, it's recommended to author your courses on a local hard drive, as network or shared drives may cause erratic behavior.

If you're still running into trouble after following those steps, please connect with our support engineers through a support case. They'd be happy to continue troubleshooting with you!

Stacey Boehm

So I essentially have the same issue, however I and my IT team have tried multiple uninstall and reinstalls. I have 5 versions of the same training and three of them won't allow me to preview. There seems to be no pattern, for example in the order created 1st - 5th, versions 3 and 4 will load a preview, but 1, 2, and 5 will not. They are all on my local drive. I had submitted the case twice last week, but have heard nothing back. Do you have any suggestions for me? Here are the 2 errors I get when I do an "inspect" from the preview page.

Uncaught SyntaxError: Bad control character in string literal in JSON at position 184685 (line 1 column 184686) at JSON.parse (<anonymous>) at window.globalProvideData (frame.desktop.min.js:2:359951) at frame.js:1:8

preview-frame.html:48 Uncaught (in promise) Error: Timeout at rejectAfterTimeout (preview-frame.html:48:76) at preview-frame.html:277:7 at new Promise (<anonymous>) at HTMLIFrameElement.onFrameLoad (preview-frame.html:275:20)