Problem(s) involving timeline and audio echoes in Storyline 360 when using text-to-voice

Jun 09, 2022

When I preview individual slides, everything usually seems just fine. However, if I preview an entire scene or story, at some point I notice that the timeline isn't unfolding properly. The audio (from text-to-voice) seems to be lagging behind the visuals. Not long after that, I start hearing echoes, often quite extreme ones. The same thing happens when I am listening to published stories as opposed to just previewing them in Storyline.

I have tried various things....making sure I am running everything locally and adjusting the audio bit rate, for example...but nothing has worked. If anyone has solved this issue or has suggestions, please let me know. 

Thanks for reading.

8 Replies
Steve Daniel

I wish I could. It would make life much easier, but I'm not allowed to share this content.

I was just  reviewing one of our courses again and the lagging audio is serious. In some cases the seekbar progresses past the halfway point in the screen before the audio (which was supposed to start immediately) begins to play. 

Daniel Canaveral

Just thinking out loud here... assuming you've published your course (either to LMS or Web), you could try replacing the "damaged" audio file published with the course (again, assuming there's some distortion occurring at the time of publication) with the original audio file:

replace compressed-damaged audio file

If you're unfamiliar with how to do this, there are some things to keep in mind:

- Since SL gives unique identifiers to each item, you may need to spend a bit of time opening and listening to individual audio files until you find the one you want to replace.  These should be located in the story_content folder.

- Once found, drag and drop the original audio file into the story_content folder.  Then, copy the unique file name given to the compressed audio file to the clipboard.  Once copied, delete the compressed audio file.  Rename the original audio file by applying the unique name you copied earlier.  Continue to do this for all audio files (a pain, I know, but it might just do the trick!)

I'd be curious to see if that helps.

Steve Daniel

I will give it a shot. Thank you! However, I don't think the audio files are being damaged at the time of publication because I encounter the same lag and echoes in the audio when I'm simply previewing a scene or the entire project. (Everything works beautifully when I'm just previewing an individual slide, though.) But we'll see. There might also be more than one one issue here.