Problem with states

Feb 03, 2021

Hi,

I have new problem with object states in storyline 3. I took a picture and edit the normal state (add another picture let's call it pic1). Than I made an hover state, on the hover state I put another picture let's call it pic 2 (on the hover state there is only pic2) when I try it, and I hover the mouse on the object, I see both pic1 and pic2. never had this before. Can someone help me with this?

Object states:

object states

What happen with mouse hover:

by the way, it happens also with other states.

Thx, Miri

2 Replies
Becca Levan

Hey there Miri!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this, and I’m happy to help!

It seems there is overlap with the states of an object. I created a quick screen record here on how to create a new state using the built-in Hover state.

If that doesn't help, have you tried creating a new trigger that will change the state of the object?  By doing this, you can change the Normal state to the Hover state when the user mouses over the object.  I did a quick how-to recording on that here.

If you’ve built your states in a similar fashion and are still experiencing overlap, would you mind sharing your .story file here so I can take a peek at what you have?  Or if you're more comfortable, you can share it privately here!

Walt Hamilton

If that doesn't help, have you tried creating a new trigger that will change the state of the object? By doing this, you can change the Normal state to the Hover state when the user mouses over the object. I did a quick how-to recording on that here.

If you choose this option, be sure you name the state something other than Hover. Creating triggers that mimic the built-in activity can lead to conflicts with the built-in actions, and sometimes unpleasant consequences.

Generally, Hover, and some other states do not replace the Normal state, they merely overlap it, which explains what you see. I would check to be sure that Pic 2 is as large as Pic1, and doesn't have any unfilled or transparent space that allows Pic1 to show through.