Project file corrupted, could not be saved. Happen more and more often
Sep 14, 2023
Lately, I've been encountering a recurring issue when attempting to save my project files. It consistently displays an error message stating that the file is corrupted and cannot be saved. This problem has persisted across all of my recent projects. Here are the steps I take to troubleshoot this problem:
When this problem occurs, my first course of action is to navigate to the "Media Library." I look for files with default placeholder thumbnails and blank metadata; these are the corrupted files. In my experience, the corrupted files are always large video files, ranging from 50MB to 1GB in size.
When I attempt to play one of these corrupted video files in the "Media Library," Storyline crashes every time. Similarly, trying to delete the file results in Storyline crashing. Occasionally, I encounter an error when opening the "Media Library."
Once I've identified the corrupted file, I proceed to the slide that contains it and delete the file from the slide. However, even after removing the corrupted file, I encounter the same error when attempting to save the project file. This is particularly frustrating, as I have already pinpointed and removed the corrupted file, yet Storyline still cannot save the project. I believe Articulate should offer a more robust solution for handling this issue.
The only way I've found to recover the project file is to create a new project and import all the slides from the corrupted one. After importing, the corrupted slide typically contains nothing (it's blank) or fails to import at all. This serves as another method for identifying which file is corrupted in the original project.
I've noticed that this error tends to occur when I leave Storyline open and step away from the computer for a while(the computer in idle), such as during lunch or a meeting. When I return and continue working on the project, attempting to save the file triggers this error.
It's clear that Storyline could benefit from an improved file recovery mechanism. Dealing with this issue consistently consumes 1 to 2 hours of my time for every project, as I must import and recreate the corrupted slides in a new project file. Additionally, Storyline appears to struggle (low timeline and playback performance) when handling video files.