Publish to Word not working since I updated to Office 365

Oct 06, 2020

I am trying to publish a SL360 project to Microsoft Word for review.  I am able to publish to Web and Articulate 360 with no problem.  I upgraded to Office 365 over the weekend and I am now unable to publish to word.  Is there something that changed in the application that it doesn't work with Word?  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Storyline and this did not fix the problem.  I am running a PC with Windows 10, SL 360 3.44.23192.0 and Office 365.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I've also tried starting a new project, storing on my desktop and that new project will not publish to word either.

18 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing the details of what you are experiencing as well as the version and recent update information.

Microsoft Office 365 is a supported environment for publishing to Word from Storyline 360 if the apps are installed on your desktop.

• Are the apps installed on your local machine or are you using the online version?
  • Are you getting an error or is nothing happening?

Thanks so much for your help!

Stephanie Williams

The apps are installed on my PC. I have a Word icon and can open a blank word document from my laptop and not the online app. The 64 bit version is installed.

Steph

Stephanie A. Williams
Founder and CEO
Ascension Learning Solutions, LLC
5730 Freshcorn Road
Cranberry Township, PA 16066
724-996-0485
www.engageyourlearners.com

Katie Riggio

Hi Keli,

Thanks for writing in. I'm happy to lend a hand!

In Stephanie's scenario: It looks like there were permission issues on the computer with Storyline accessing Microsoft Office, where updating Windows to this build likely helped.

A few clarifying questions to help us find a fix for you:

• Have you had trouble publishing to Word previously, or is this recent?
  • Could you check your Windows machine for any pending updates and update to the current version? Here's how.
Jose Tansengco

Hi Josh, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

If publishing to Word succeeds but doesn't generate a Word file, you'll want to check with your IT staff to see if your organization still allows the creation of .doc files. Storyline 360 outputs Word files in .doc format, and we've seen cases before wherein organizations have blocked the creating and accessing of this older Word format in favor of the more modern .docx format. If your organization isn't blocking the creation of .doc files, please reach out to our support team here so we can take a closer look at what's happening. 

Jose Tansengco

Hi Tito, 

If you are using the web app version of Word 365, note that this version is currently not supported in Articulate 360. You can check this article to see which versions of Microsoft Office are supported

If you have the desktop version of Office 365 installed, reach out to our support team by opening a case so we can take a look at your computer's environment. 

Tito Ocando

We are using a supported version of Word, the problem could be related to what I have been informed about publishing to .doc file that is no longer supported by our organization.

Is Articulate going to have an update in the near future that fixes this so it can publish to .docx files instead? .doc files stop being the standart for Word many years ago, so why Articulate still uses this very old type of file?

Thanks!

Think Big1

I'm having a similar issue as the other posters here. I think, in addition to fixing the publishing to Word feature, you should have a separate "export transcript" option. These days, providing a transcript as an accessibility option is commonplace, and it's bizarre to me that Storyline doesn't have an easy way to just export all the script in the transcript.

Jose Tansengco

Hello Think Big1, 

We do have an open feature request for changing the output of Storyline 360's Publish to Word feature from .doc to .docx. I added your voice to that request so we can notify you as soon as an update is released. 

Regarding an "export transcript" option, I’ll be happy to pass your thoughts on to our product team, but you can also feel free to detail them more through a feature request!